Tubman on the $20 is priceless

Photo by Via CREATIVE COMMONS

Harriet Tubman will be the new face on the $20.

Harriet Tubman will soon become the new face of the $20 bill, marking a significant victory for many. 
The news was announced Wednesday morning and a lot of people are really happy about it — rightfully so. Tubman was born into slavery. She later escaped, worked as a Union spy during the Civil War and is remembered as an incredible pillar of American history. She was a revolutionist during a time when being a woman and being black made it very difficult to make history — but that’s exactly what she did. 
Tubman is not the first woman on American currency, nor is she the first minority. Sacagawea marks the $1 coin currently where Susan B. Anthony held the position before. But let’s be honest — the $1 coin is little more than a collector’s item at this point. When’s the last time you paid for anything with a $1 coin? 
The $20 bill is a note that has a very large circulation — most ATMs only administer $20 bills. When Tubman takes over her face and story will reach a large, strong circulation. When it has to do with your face on a bill, it’s not the dollar amount that really counts, it’s the circulation. That’s why they put Salmon P. Cash on the $10,000 bill. Yeah, exactly — who? 
And Tubman won’t be the only woman joining the Federal Reserve’s Good Ol’ Boys Club of currency bills. According to U.S. Treasury  Secretary Jacob Lew, women and civil rights leaders will be added to the $5 and $10 bills, too, though in what capacity it’s not clear yet. 
This decision doesn’t come as complete shock. Talk began last year to get a woman on American paper currency. Tubman’s name was tossed around then, too, without any confirmations.
So here’s to you, Ms. Tubman. May your time on the $20 be meaningful and pave the way for more forward thinking from our government and our country. The bill itself may only be worth $20, but Tubman’s presence on it will hold much more value.