Wait until next World Cup

The U.S. team ended its World Cup dream Saturday, losing 2-1 to Ghana in the first knockout round of the tournament. While Americans are entitled to feel disappointment after the late game, heroic moments left hope for our team to advance farther than ever before, the U.S. accomplished so much both on the field and for soccer in our country.
With a victory over Ghana, the U.S. would have advanced to the quarter-finals for the second time — as far as our country has ever gotten in the World Cup. However, the U.S. still won its group for the first time since 1930 and proved they belong in the tournament by qualifying, despite poor officiating and always being behind in games.
More important, is the excitement the U.S. team has brought to soccer. Everyone loves a winner, and suddenly many Americans found themselves excited about the sport after Landon Donovan’s stoppage time goal against Algeria. Our effort against Ghana marked the first time the U.S. has ever forced overtime in a World Cup, and the game kept Americans on the edge of their seats until the final whistle blew.
Our national team has many reasons to be proud, and that pride has affected our country’s perception of soccer. As more children grow playing the sport that has captured the hearts of the world, America will only improve as our soccer team is held to a higher standard. Although we exit the world’s largest stage without a championship again, Americans have a reason to put hope in 2014.