5 games to watch for

Photo by File
5 Games to Watch

1. March 13 — Texas at Blue Bell Park
The Aggies and Longhorns will face off on the diamond for the first time since the 2014 NCAA Houston Regional tournament. The Aggies will be looking for payback since they were eliminated from the tournament, losing both the series and their chances of advancing to the Super Regionals. Last season the Aggies were 32-4 in non-conference games, with 26 of those wins coming at home. A&M will look to continue that success at home against Texas before beginning conference play.
2.March 26 — LSU at Blue Bell Park
After opening SEC play on the road against Auburn, the Aggies will take on LSU at home in an important series. The last time these two teams played, A&M lost two of the three games. A&M’s starters in both losses pitched six-and-a-third innings, and gave up three and six runs, respectively. The series finale falls right before a road trip that includes stops at the University of Houston, the University of Florida and Rice. Flipping the script by way of stronger pitching and taking at least two out of three games would help keep the Aggies on track in conference play.  
3. May 1 — Arkansas at Baum Stadium
Deep into the season, the Aggies will travel to Fayetteville to take on the Razorbacks. Last season, the team dropped two of three, initially splitting the double header and losing on the final day. The game the Aggies won was due in part to a six-run inning. This late into the season, conference play becomes critical. With the SEC tournament approaching fast, a loss could be difficult to overcome.
4. May 13 — South Carolina at Founders Park
Following a home stand against the Vanderbilt Commodores, A&M hits the road again in another pivotal SEC matchup. This series could set the tone for the final stretch of the 2016 season. A year ago, South Carolina posed a strong test for A&M, handing them two losses. A loss here ­— especially two — potentially spells trouble for the SEC tournament. To improve their chances against South Carolina, the Aggies will need to play good defense. Several errors last season against South Carolina, including four in the first loss, led to run-scoring chances for the Gamecocks.
5. May 21 — Ole Miss at Blue Bell Park
The last series on the 2016 regular season schedule is critical. In 2015, the Aggies split the series against the Rebels at a game apiece. A shutout performance by the Aggies gave them the victory, while two, three-run innings contributed to an Ole Miss win. With a win here, momentum would help drive the Aggies towards the postseason. A loss, however, would be a tough pill to swallow as the season wraps up.