Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

5 takeaways from A&M-Lamar

David Cohen — THE BATTALION

1.Kyle Field hosts record crowd: Expanded to accommodate 106,000 fans, Kyle Field broke the Texas state attendance record for a college football game when 104,728 people showed up for the Aggies’ tilt with Lamar Saturday. It was also the largest number of students to ever pull tickets with 35,000, breaking the record of 31,000 for the A&M-Nebraska game in 2010.
2. Young defense impresses: The Aggie defense prevented Lamar from scoring a touchdown, the first time A&M has done so since it played SMU in 2012. Two of the Aggies’ defensive ends, freshman Myles Garrett and sophomore Daeshon Hall, combined for three sacks and four tackles for loss. Garrett already has three sacks on the season, tying A&M’s leading sack total for 2013.
3. Kenny ‘Trill,’ offense rolls: In his encore performance, sophomore quarterback Kenny Hill went 17-of-26 for 283 yards and four touchdowns. Six different receivers caught touchdown passes and three different running backs found the end zone as the Aggie offense made it look easy.
4. Moving on up: The Aggies moved up two spots in the Associated Press Top-25 Poll to No. 7 after Saturday’s win and five spots in the Coaches Poll to No. 8. Both polls have five SEC teams ranked in the top 10.
5. Special teams shine: The A&M special teams unit showed lots of promise Saturday. Freshman punt returner Speedy Noil almost returned a punt for a touchdown, bringing a 67-yard return to the four-yard line. Noil also scooped a kickoff and returned it 53 yards. Freshman Nick Harvey had a 30-yard return on a punt in the fourth quarter.

• David Cohen — THE BATTALION