Aggie tennis dominates in home debut.

Tennis+Recap
Photo by FILE
Tennis Recap

The No. 5 Texas A&M Aggies began their season with a double header at the Mitchell Tennis Center. They played their first match against UTSA and their second against Lamar, claiming consecutive 6-1 and 7-0 wins.

Their first match against UTSA included doubles followed by singles matches where the Aggies were victorious in both. The Aggies took a 1-0 lead in doubles winning the doubles match-ups including a 6-3 win from Jackson Withrow/Arthur Rinderknech, and a 6-3 win from AJ Catanzariti/Shane Vinsant.

A&M then extended their lead in singles by winning five out of the six matches, highlighted by a 6-1 win from junior James Martell and a 6-2 win from Max Lunkin.

Their second match played at 4 p.m. began with a doubles win to take a 1-0 lead which included a 6-1 win from Rinderknech/Withrow. They continued their dominance in the singles matches following with a clean sweep, winning all games and securing the shutout in a 6-0 victory. This display featured a 6-1, 6-4 win from Rinderknech, the fifth overall ranked singles player in the country.

With their first two matches coming in familiar territory, the Aggies wanted to come out and send a message early, and they did not disappoint. A&M won 13 out of 14 matches, with their only loss coming in a narrow tiebreaker from freshman Michael Lam. This hunger was present coming into the season from head coach Steve Denton, who maintained that the goal was SEC title or bust.

“I think we’re playing pretty well,” Denton said. “But as I’ve said, we have lofty goals. Our goals are to win the SEC and to do better than we did last year in the NCAA tournament.”

The Aggies look to build off their hot start Saturday, Jan. 23 against Boise State and San Francisco.