Aggies drop midweek match to No. 2 Texas

Photo by File

Kiara McGee recorded 11 kills Friday against South Carolina.

The volleyball edition of the Lone Star Showdown was renewed on Wednesday night as the No. 16 Texas A&M Aggies (6-4) visited the No. 2 Texas Longhorns (8-1) in Austin. Texas leads the all-time series with a record of 67-23 in the long history of the heated rivalry, with the Longhorns winning the last four matchups, including the most recent one to end the Aggies’ season in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

Texas continued its dominance over the series on Wednesday, with a 3-0 sweep of the Aggies. The first set started off even with Texas leading 15-14 at the first media timeout. Texas then took its largest lead of the set when the Longhorns lead 20-18, before going on a 3-1 run to take a 23-19 lead. The Aggies couldn’t muster a comeback at the end of the set as the Longhorns took it 25-21. Freshman Hollann Hans and senior Jazzmin Babers lead the Aggies with four kills each in the first set.

In the second set, Texas jumped out to a quick 6-1 lead before the Aggies called a timeout. Texas would continue its dominance of the set as they took a commanding 13-5 lead before the Aggies won three straight points to make the score 13-8 Longhorns. Despite the quick run by the Aggies, they couldn’t keep up with the Longhorns as Texas took a 21-14 lead before winning the set 25-18. Hans finished the first and second set with seven kills and seven digs to lead the Aggies.

The third set was a set of runs as the Longhorns started with a 7-5 lead, but A&M quickly responded to go on a 5-0 run to make the score 10-7 before Texas took a timeout. Texas then tied it up at 12 before going on a 4-0 run to make the score 16-12. Next, the Aggies went on another run to tie the game at 18 before the Longhorns went on a 3-0 run to make the score 21-18. Texas didn’t look back as it coasted to the finish line and won the third set 25-21, and the match 3-0.
Next, the Aggies will return home to Reed Arena and take on No. 6 Wisconsin in their last non-conference matchup before they start SEC play. The match is this Friday, September 16 and will start at 4 p.m.