Aggies in the NFL Combine 2016

Photo by Photo By: Lawrence Smelser

Tra Carson ran for 2,075 yards in three seasons at Texas A&M after transferring from Oregon.

This past week, the NFL scouting combine has been taking place in Indianapolis. All-in-all, six Aggies were selected to showcase their skills for NFL coaches, general managers and other higher ups of the league.

Here’s how the selected Aggies looked this week.

Germain Ifedi, OL

Ifedi was the most looked-at Aggie of the group this week. He ran in most workouts and finished in the top ranks of a couple categories. On film, Ifedi looks solid with his length and size. He ran a 5.27 second 40-yard dash, which was among the tops for offensive lineman, and broad jumped the eighth-best distance for lineman at 9.08 feet. His athleticism allows him to react quickly and adjust to different schemes and blitzes defenses throw at him. Ifedi has an ability to blow up blockers with his quick reflexes combined with his somewhat nasty demeanor and style of play. The lack of a run game and offensive scheme while at A&M hurt his value a bit due to his inability to showcase his strength in run block situations. He played both tackle and guard in college so if an NFL team can find where he plays best, the ceiling for Ifedi is fairly high.

Rest of the group

The remaining five Aggies did not do as many drills and were there more for measurements and interviews with a variety of organizations. Brandon Williams was a top performer for cornerbacks in the bench press, finishing with 18 reps (tied for seventh best). Running back Tra Carson finished with 19 reps on the bench press, which was 13th best for his position. Elsewhere, Joseph Cheek, DeVante Harris and Drew Kaser mainly interviewed and had their measurements taken.
Overall, the combine displays athletic ability and potential but the participants all get a chance to show their skills in more football related drills when Pro Days begin on their respective campuses. A&M’s pro day will take place sometime in March and will showcase players that were not invited to the combine as well. The NFL Draft will take place April 28-30.