A&M baseball swept by Arkansas

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Freshman infielder Will Frizzell had four RBIs in his five at-bats. 

Sunday, as No. 20 Texas A&M baseball team was looking to avoid the sweep against No. 6 Arkansas, the high powered Razorback offense was too much for A&M to handle. Arkansas completed the series sweep with a 6-3 win.
Arkansas sits alone in first place in the SEC West at 36-15 (17-10 SEC) while the Aggies sit in fifth place at 34-17 (12-15 SEC).
Arkansas started the scoring in the bottom of the first in games one and two, they made sure to start it again in the bottom of the first in game three. The Razorbacks got a run thanks to an A&M error. Arkansas extended its lead in the bottom of the third when senior designated hitter Luke Bonfield launched a three run home run to make it 4-0 Razorbacks. A&M junior catcher Cole Bedford singled to give A&M a run in the top of the sixth before Arkansas added two insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth on a sac-fly and a double. The Aggies mounted a comeback attempt in the top of the ninth as Bedford again smacked an RBI single that scored two runs, but A&M couldn’t muster anything else as the Aggies fell 6-3.
Arkansas starting pitcher Isaiah Campbell went five strong shutout innings for the Razorbacks, giving up just five hits and struck out seven. Five more pitchers covered the last four innings for the Razorbacks. The five relievers combined to give up the three runs on just three hits, and struck out four.
The Arkansas offense was led by Bonfield, junior first baseman Hunter Wilson and freshman outfielder Heston Kjerstad. Bonfield went 2-4 with four RBIs, Wilson went 1-3 with a walk and an RBI, and Kjerstad went 1-3 with a run scored.
A&M junior starter Stephen Kolek got the loss on Sunday as he tossed 5.1 innings, giving up four runs on six hits, while he walked three. Senior Kaylor Chafin threw 1.2 shutout innings, giving up no hits and no walks. Junior closer Nolan Hoffman threw an inning in which he gave up no earned runs on two hits.
The A&M offense was led by Bedford, junior third baseman Allonte Wingate, and sophomore pinch hitter Chris Andritsos. Bedford went 3-5 with 2 RBIs, Wingate went 2-2 with a run scored and two walks, and Andritsos went 1-1 with a RBI in his only at bat.
The Aggies will look to bounce back from the sweep as they welcome Sam Houston State to Blue Bell Park on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.