Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

A&M club baseball splits doubleheader with DFW Post Grad

Photo by Sourav Dhar, JOUR 359 Contributor.

Sophomore pitcher No. 2 Rob Roff warms up before pitching in the first game of a doubleheader against DFW Post Grad at Travis Field in Bryan on Oct. 6.

Coming off convincing wins over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Sept. 17, the 4-0 Texas A&M club baseball team prevailed over DFW Post Grad in a 4-3 walk-off win in the early window, followed by a 17-7 lights-out loss — literally — at Edible Field on Oct. 6.
Friday’s win in the first game wasn’t sustainable in the second, which got off to a 7 p.m. start that doomed the home side to the loss in a shortened 5-inning contest due to the stadium lights turning off. Officials called off the game for a 17-7 final. The Aggies clinched their dramatic first-game win thanks to a walk-off double by general studies sophomore Tyler Dickerson in the bottom of the seventh inning, down to their last out.
The right field laser hit for the walk-off capped a big day for Dickerson as he went 2-for-4 with a walk and the game-winning RBI. Biology senior Spencer Thompson also starred with a solo home run in the second inning to get the scoring started.
“The pressure kinda was off me because the game was already tied and if I messed up, we’d still go to extra innings,” Dickerson said. “I was swinging for the fence, but I ended up piecing one to right field and that ended up scoring the winning run.”
The success of Dickerson’s bat was aided by finance junior Matt Janak, who led the A&M pitching staff with a clutch performance. Five A&M arms racked up eight strikeouts and delivered crucial outs late in the game.
“Our pitching in the first game was very phenomenal,” Dickerson said.
The feel-good vibes were not present for long in the second game, though, as DFW Post Grad led throughout the nightcap. The first inning ended with the Aggies down 9-0, and a six-run fourth inning by DFW Post Grad put the home team in a 15-3 hole it could not dig out of.
“We definitely need to work on our hitting, because in the first game and this game, they outhit us by far,” Dickerson said.
The Aggies will look to rebound when they take the field against SMU at home on Oct. 14-15.
Follow the team at @TAMUClubBaseball on Instagram, @AgsClubBaseball on X or visit TamuClubBaseball.org.
Sourav Dhar is a management information systems senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.