Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

A&M men’s baskettball wins physical game

As Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy put it, it was an ugly game from beginning to end. Struggling from the field, the Aggies were able to get by Prairie View A&M 81-59 Thursday night at Reed Arena.
First of all, Im thankful for the win, Kennedy said. I knew it could be an ugly game. Prairie View is very tough to play early in the year with so much zone.
The Aggies managed to shoot 44 percent from the field while shooting 47 percent from beyond the three point arc.
Where the ugliness came in was on the battle for the rebounds as Prairie View was extending their zone defense and creating a difficult time for the Aggies to get to the boards. The Aggies were outrebounded 41-34 while allowing 18 second chance points.
We got out of position and didnt do a good job of blocking out, Kennedy said.
While the scene in the paint was ugly, the Aggies were led by their perimeter players as they had good ball movement, finding the right opportunities to allow their guards to score.
Junior transfer guard Fabyon Harris had a game high 18 points, while shooting 4-5 from three point range. Harris had plaenty of support as the Aggies had five players in double figures as senior forward Ray Turner had 17 points, freshman guard JMychal Reese scored 15 points, and guards Elston Turner and Jordan Green chipped in 10 points each.
Offensively, our perimeter guys can score, Kennedy said. We shared the ball. Everything was on the perimeter and everything was jump shots. We’ve got to be a presence at the basket. Right now, free throws and jump shots are saving us.”
The Aggies continue to be a solid free throw shooting team as they shot a collective 83 percent for the night, just a hair off their season average of 82 percent. Leading the way at the charity stripe was Ray Turner who made all nine of his free throws.
I feel confident in my free throws. I’ve been shooting a lot more free throws since last year wasn’t as great. I’ve been putting a lot of work toward that area. I know that when I get to the line, I’ve got to knock them down.”
So in a night that was physical, ugly at the boards, a true grind it out sort of game, the Aggies used their perimeter offense and free throws to get the points that did not come easy in the paint.
“It’s a tough game, Ray Turner said. It’s an emotional game for both teams. Both teams are out there trying to win.
The Aggies will face off against the Saint Louis Billikens at Reed Arena on November 19th in part of CBE Classic. Tipoff is set for 6:30pm.