Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

A&M showers Olsen with 20-run outing

The Texas A&M Aggies started their four-game home stand at Olsen Field with a victory over the Abilene Christian Wildcats by a final score of 20-2.
Corey Ray improved his record to 3-0 during his 10th appearance and first start of the year on Wednesday night. The junior worked the Wildcat lineup for five shutout innings, allowing just four hits in the process. Ray struck out five and walked one.
On the offensive side, the Aggies started their 22-hit performance early, scoring runs in each of the first five innings, including home runs from Logan Nottebrok and Ryne Birk. After a scoreless sixth frame, A&M pushed across seven more in the seventh inning.
“I’m proud of what we did from an offensive standpoint,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “We had eight two-out runs and a lot of those came early. A lot of big two-out hits and Ray got us off to a good start. We haven’t had good Tuesday starts the last couple of weeks and for Ray to get us off to a good start was really important. We got some guys some work who haven’t got work in a while.”
Every Aggie starter had at least one hit in the ballgame with Birk leading the way with a 4-for-5 performance. Birk totaled three runs, drove in three of his own, and had two extra base hits and a walk on the night.
“It’s always good to have a good night and help the team win,” Birk said. “We have been rolling and keeping the streak going, it feels great. I think we had a great approach, if we can keep that up I think we can hang with anybody this year. To see other guys keep hitting you go up there and hope to keep the line rolling. It was a great night for everybody.”
Cole Lankford, Logan Taylor and Nottebrok each chipped in with three hits of their own.
The Aggies (23-15, 7-8 SEC) now prep for a three-game series against another set of Wildcats in SEC rival Kentucky. The No. 19 Wildcats are fresh off a sweep of No. 9 Louisville.
Senior Jason Jester had his first career start last Friday against Vanderbilt in a 10-4 win, and Childress is expected to start the former closer to kick off the weekend home stand. Jester will take the mound with a 2-2 record and a 4.26 ERA compiled over 16 appearances this year.
In the Vanderbilt start, Jester went a career high four innings, allowing six hits and three runs.
Daniel Mengden (2-5, 4.05 ERA) and Grayson Long (4-1, 2.47 ERA) are the expected starters for Saturday and Sunday against the Wildcats.
The three-game series will kick off Friday with first pitch slated for 6:3