A&M sinks LSU in dual meet sweep

Allison Bradshaw — THE BATTALION
The women’s swim team claimed a 166-128 victory over LSU on Saturday.
Allison Bradshaw — THE BATTALION The women’s swim team claimed a 166-128 victory over LSU on Saturday.

The No. 4 Aggie women (9-0, 4-0 SEC) kicked off Senior Day against the No. 20 Tigers (4-4, 1-4 SEC) with a nail-biting 400 medley relay. After hanging onto second for the majority of the race, senior Sammi Bosma pulled a huge comeback in the final moments to claim A&M victory with a final time of 3:39.70. The women went on to top LSU 166-128.
In her last swim before the SEC Championships in Auburn, senior Sarah Henry led the women to a 500 free with a time of 4:49.25. Henry said she was proud of the performance, but now “it’s crunch time.”
“Now it’s time to get serious,” Henry said. “Right now I’m just going to finish out the collegiate season, and then after I graduate in May my focus will be on the 2016 Olympic team.”
The A&M men’s team (6-3, 1-2 SEC) capped a solid start with a 1-2-3 victory over the Tigers (2-5, 0-5 SEC) in the 100 backstroke. SEC Freshman of the Week Brock Bonetti headed the pack with a time of 48.69. Clocking in behind him were juniors Jacob Wallace (48.73) and Alexandros Theocharidis (49.06). Freshman Mauro Castillo later set a Texas A&M school record in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:55.65, beating Bryan Snowden’s time of 1:56.55 set in 2011. The Aggies would dominate the Tigers with a 166-121 victory.
Senior Luke Shaw won three races as well as assisted in a relay victory with fellow senior Hayden Duplechain.
The Aggie divers return to action when they head to Colorado Springs to compete in the AFA Diving Invitational January 30. The next full competition is the SEC Championship in Auburn, Ala. starting Feb. 17.