Around the SEC

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

The SEC certainly didn’t look great last weekend. Four SEC West teams lost, and it took overtime for Tennessee to beat Appalachian State.
Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M looked fantastic, however, as each knocked off Top 25 opponents. This Saturday isn’t loaded with games like last weekend, but there are still a few interesting matchups.
Here are the most important games around the SEC this weekend.
South Carolina (1-0, 1-0 SEC) vs. Mississippi State (0-1)
Sept. 10, Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, Mississippi
6:00 p.m. on ESPN2
Talk about a pillow fight. Actually, this game could be exciting like last week’s South Carolina game against Vanderbilt, which was won with a field goal at the buzzer by the Gamecocks.
The Bulldogs’ game last Saturday came down to a last second field goal as well. Unlike USC, though, MSU’s kicker hit the upright on a 28-yarder to lose the game. Boy, do they miss Dak Prescott.
Whoever wins this game can be a threat to the Aggies. MSU has LSU, Umass, Auburn, BYU, Kentucky and Samford before A&M. The Gamecocks play East Carolina and Kentucky before hosting the Aggies. With a win Saturday, MSU would probably be 6-2 or 5-3 when it faces A&M. South Carolina could be undefeated.
In the end, Mississippi State has more athletes and playmakers than South Carolina.
Prediction: Mississippi State 24, South Carolina 20
Arkansas (1-0) vs. No. 15 TCU (1-0)
Sept. 10, Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, Texas
6:00 p.m. on ESPN
Here’s a direct quote from Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema in reference to TCU’s starting quarterback, Kenny Hill.
“He’s a much more improved player than the last time we saw him,” Bielema said. “I think he feels comfortable.”
Last time Hill faced Bielema, he threw for 386 yards and four touchdowns. Oh, Bret Bielema.
This game will be the most entertaining out of the group. Arkansas’ Austin Allen — younger brother to previous Razorback quarterback, Brandon Allen — will be in the spotlight for the first time. Hill will be attempting to improve his image on a new ball club.
Both teams similarly escaped upsets last week. TCU beat South Dakota State 59-41, while Arkansas dropped Louisiana Tech by a narrow 21-20. Both squads have an opportunity to erase those sour performances on Saturday. His defense didn’t play well, but Hill registered just short of 500 yards and five total touchdowns. There’s too much firepower surrounding Hill in this one, but TCU’s defense may give up some points.
Prediction: No. 15 TCU 41, Arkansas 27
Virginia Tech (1-0) vs. No. 17 Tennessee (1-0)
Sept. 10, Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, Tennessee
7:00 p.m. on ABC
Remember that team two years ago that handed the eventual national champions, Ohio State, their lone loss of the year in Week 2? Yeah, that was Virginia Tech. Most are tapping the brakes on the Tennessee hype after last week’s result, so don’t expect history to repeat itself.
It appeared Butch Jones’ Vols were about to suffer a major upset on the nine-year anniversary of Appalachian State’s upset win over Michigan.
However, they pulled it out in overtime on a Josh Dobbs rushing touchdown. This week is important for the Volunteers. Despite winning last week, U.T. dropped seven ranks in the AP Poll. A convincing win would silence doubters, at least for now.
Tennessee won’t surprise or impress anyone, but it will squeeze out another win.
Prediction: No. 17 Tennessee 31, Virginia Tech 24
Carter Karels is a journalism junior and a sports writer for The Battalion.