Around the SEC: Week 2

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

Now that season openers have come and gone, let us settle down and enjoy that sweet, sweet out-of-conference schedule. Here we’ll take a look at what Week 2 has to offer around the Southeastern Conference.
No. 13 Auburn at No. 3 Clemson
Auburn’s defense has finally developed and it could very well be one of the best D’s Clemson will face this season. Kelly Bryant has been great for Clemson but really all we know is that the kid can run. Besides that, there’s not enough info on him besides a 56-3 win over Kent State. I don’t think War Eagle will make it out of Death Valley with a victory, but Auburn will make this game a lot closer than people think. Auburn’s coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey have got this Auburn offense moving but I’ve got to give Clemson the benefit of the doubt. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. CST.
Prediction: Clemson 31, Auburn 27
South Carolina at Missouri
South Carolina needs a win to stay competitive in the SEC West. They’ll be facing off against a Mizzou defense that got torn apart by Missouri State for 353 yards and two scores. However, Missouri has proved they can get the ball moving through QB Drew Lock. As unconfident as I am in the Tigers’ abilities, the Gamecocks make me feel even wearier. Expect Mizzou to pull it off at home by getting up early against a South Carolina offense that won’t be able to keep up. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. on ESPN2.
Prediction: Missouri 35, South Carolina 27
No. 23 TCU at Arkansas
Anyone remember when the Razorbacks somehow pulled off this win last year? This season both squads are coming in hot off a pair of victories over small schools. Kenny Hill, the former Aggie, is back at the reins for the Horned Frogs. He was nearly flawless last week against Jackson State, but the Frogs’ defense has to show up if they want to have a chance. Arkansas is criminally underrated, and now with Austin Allen back at the helm, the veteran will be looking to double up on last year’s performance. He threw three touchdowns for the 41-38 victory last season. Now he faces an improved TCU defense that will keep him honest. Expect another shootout with some crazy offensive stats. I want to favor Arkansas, but I don’t think the home field advantage will be enough to keep TCU at bay. Kickoff is slated for 1:30 p.m. CST.
Prediction: TCU 38, Arkansas 34
No. 15 Georgia at No. 24 Notre Dame
Since the days of Todd Gurley, Georgia has been operating their offense on the ground. Nick Chubb and Sony Michel will share the workload and undoubtedly find their way to the end zone. That’s no surprise to anyone. The question is, can the Dawgs get their quarterback Jake Fromm to hit the third down throws to keep the defense guessing? The Fighting Irish, on the other hand, have an offense that just won’t stop. The new attack under Brian Kelly is fast and efficient. Brandon Wimbush collected 106 yards on the ground and 184 through the air for a combined three touchdowns against Temple. I’ve got to pick an upset this week and I think Notre Dame’s the one to pull it off, especially with Georgia losing their quarterback. Their offensive line and relentless attack won’t give the Bulldogs a chance to breathe. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. CST.
Prediction: Notre Dame 27, Georgia 20