Auburn leads A&M at halftime 14-3

Photo by Photo by Bryan Johnson

Sophomore running back James White moves the ball  upfield during Texas A&M’s Saturday matchup against Auburn.

Auburn’s usual starting quarterback, Sean White, battled an ailing injury coming into the Tigers meeting with Texas A&M.
That did not stop Jeremy Johnson, the junior who came off the bench and led the Tigers to a 14-3 lead over A&M at halftime.
In the first half, Johnson struck fire right away. Following an A&M field goal, the junior passed 6-for-6 for 40 yards on the opening Auburn drive, which was capped off with a 9-yard touchdown pass to Marcus Davis.
Johnson was near perfect in the first half, throwing 9-for-10 for 57 yards and one touchdown.
Kyler Murray earned his second start of his young career with the Aggies. After the Auburn touchdown, Murray marched his offense 37 yards on seven plays. However, Murray hoped for a big play throwing deep to Damion Ratley facing one-on-one coverage. Auburn’s defensive back Carlton Davis intercepted the intended pass in the end zone for a touchback.
Jovon Robinson led the charge for the Tigers next, dashing 45 yards into A&M territory on the second play from scrimmage on the drive. Johnson then completed three straight completions, setting up a 1-yard punch in score a few plays later from Robinson. The nine-play, 80-yard drive lasted 4:18 to make it a 14-3 Auburn advantage. Robinson ended the half with 109 yards on the ground on 15 carries.
The Aggies pieced together another long drive, but it led to the same result. After Murray inched his team inside the 10-yard line, the freshman was intercepted once again, this time by Justin Garrett.
Auburn did not capitalize, and sandwiched a pair of punts with an A&M three-and-out. The Aggies had a chance at cutting the deficit before the half on two occasions, but failed each time.
On the second-to-last possession of the half, Murray led another promising drive. After eight plays good for 39 yards, A&M confronted a 4th and 1 at the Auburn 23. Instead of kicking it, the Aggies elected to run a quarterback counter with Murray. The rush went for no gain, handing the Tigers the ball back and coming out empty handed.
Following a three-and-out by Auburn, the Aggies had yet another chance to cut it to single digits into the break. A&M received the ball with decent field position, but wasn’t able to manage it into points.
Murray walked into the locker room with 78 yards on 9-for-17 passing and the pair of interceptions, along with 38 yards on six rushes. Tra Carson had a presence in the backfield with 59 rushing yards on 13 carries.
Check later for an updated recap after the game.

• Junior linebacker Shaan Washington makes a tackle during Texas A&M’s Saturday matchup against Auburn.

Photo by Photo by Bryan Johnson
  • Freshman quarterback Kyler Murray evades a tackle during Texas A&M’s Saturday matchup against Auburn.

Photo by Photo by Bryan Johnson