Belk Bowl in Review

Head Coach Jeff Banks and 12th Man linebacker Cullen Gillaspia discuss plays happening during practice.  Both teams had three days of practice in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

From volunteering at the local food bank to shopping at the mall and from the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band to Midnight Yell, the Belk Bowl had them all. Take a look and see what happened in Charlotte, North Carolina just after the holidays.
Photos by Meredith Seaver

• Redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Starkel finishes a drill with graduate assistant Conner McQueen before moving onto the next drill.

• Junior deep snapper Austin Frey and the entire football team put together care packages for children in the Charlotte community.

• In spirit of friendly competition, offense was on one side and defense on the other. First priority was one of everything in each bag and then second priority was speed.

• Even with an injury senior quarterback Jake Hubenak participated with a little help from his teammate senior tight end Tanner Schorp.

• Junior linebacker Cullen Gillaspia and senior quarterback Jake Hubenak ask their moms for advice while they shop for shoes.

• Lines were long and arms were full as the shopping spree came to an end.

• Players were given the option to ship their purchases home instead of flying it back in their luggage.

• Texas A&M Head Coach Jeff Banks and Wake Forest Head Coach Dave Clawson are competing in the 16th Belk Bowl.

• Texas A&M’s new Head Coach Jimbo Fisher gave an impromptu press conference in the team hotel in Charlotte after the official Media Day.

• The nationally famous Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band practiced at a local high school in order to be prepared for halftime during the Bowl Game.

• While the temperatures were in the 20’s the bass drummers managed to perform without any jackets on.

• Even with the additional bowl game, the Bugle Rank patterns continues to mesmerize. 

• Midnight Yell for the Belk Bowl was their last as Yell Leaders for seniors Ian Moss, Cooper Cox, and Ken Belden

• Yell Leaders Conner Joseph, Ken Belden, Ian Moss, Cooper Cox, and Gavin  Suel stand at attention with Miss Revielle by their side during the national anthem. This is the last football game for Senior Yell Leaders Ian Moss, Cooper Cox, and Ken Belden

• Junior wide receiver Christian Kirk finished the game against Wake Forest with a total of 13 catches for 189 yards.

• Sophomore defensive back Tyrel Dodson and freshman Debione Renfro work together to prevent Wake Forest from getting the first down.

• Sophomore defensive back Charles Oliver scored a touchdown for the Aggies off of a blocked Wake Forest punt.

• Redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Starkel and sophomore running back Trayveon Williams shake hands after a two yard rush for a touchdown.

• Sophomore running back Trayveon Williams skips back to the Aggie bench after he scored a touch down.

• Wake Forest quarterback John Wolford ended the game passing 400 yards and rushing 78 yards.

• Junior wide receiver Christian Kirk has not yet announced if he will declare for the draft or finish out his college career.

• During the Aggie Band halftime performance, Colonel Brewer ’81 had to ask the Belk Bowl cameramen to move off the field as they were not made aware of the Aggie Band’s precision movements.

• After scoring a touchdown, junior wide receiver Christian Kirk celebrates with teammate freshman defensive back Keldrick Carper.

• Senior tight end Tanner Schorp blocks two Demon Deacons as they try to block a kick.

• Freshman linebacker Anthony Hines III holds the ball up in victory after he recovered a fumble.

• Freshman wide receiver Jhamon Ausbon reaches into the end zone to put the Aggies above the Demon Deacons in the 4th quarter.

• Redshirt freshman Nick Starkel takes a quick snap as the last minutes of the game start turning into seconds.

• After an incomplete pass attempt to a teammate freshman wide receiver Cameron Buckley walks off the field with 28 seconds left on the clock and Wake Forest in possession of the ball.