Golf tees off season with familiar foe

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

The A&M women’s golf team will open the 2015-16 season against a familiar foe, the University of Texas.

The Aggies will host the Longhorns this Sunday beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Traditions golf club in Bryan. This exhibition, along with the NCAA regional in May, is the only opportunity that the Aggies will have to play right in their backyard. Coming off an impressive campaign last year where the Aggies took home the SEC championship, junior Andrea Jonama spoke about continuing to improve as a whole and reaching new heights.
“I think our expectations are pretty high because we had a really great year last year,” Jonama said. “We are trying to get even better. We have a really good team and we have a really good relationship with all of them so we’re going to try to do good things this year.”

Head coach Trelle McCombs said this is a new year and the team is not looking back at last year.

“You can always repeat but I don’t like to look at it as repeat,” McCombs said. “I really just want to write a different chapter in our book. This whole experience is our book and we just want to write a new chapter. If we try to do what we did last year and live up to some sort of expectations that people put upon us, there tends to be more pressure that the girls feel and we don’t want that.”

Junior Bianca Fabrizio, defending individual SEC champion, displayed confidence in speaking about her team’s chances to repeat this season.

“It will be awesome to become back-to-back SEC champions and we will try to do our best at Nationals and Regionals,” Fabrizio said.
With accomplished players like All-American Auburn transfer Sophia Schubert and lone senior Tezira Abe, the Longhorns provide competition that should challenge the Aggies. Jonama will be looking to get the win come Sunday.
“Winning would be pretty nice,” Jonama said. “I think we are pretty ready. We are going to play a lot of qualifiers and were going to have a lot of practice time and hopefully we play well.”