Hot or not

Photo by Photo By: Bryan Johnson
Hot or Not

WHO’S HOT

Myles Garrett

The sophomore defensive end was all over the place against the Crimson Tide last Saturday, adding on another sack to his now 8.5 sacks on the season along with a blocked punt that gave the Aggies some life. The punt block by Garrett put Kyle Field in a frenzy, and his play throughout the game applied constant pressure to Tide quarterback Jake Coker. The early sophomore Heisman Trophy candidate has consistently provided pressure off the edge, which has freed up players like Daeshon Hall and Daylon Mack to make impact plays on the defensive line. The play of Garrett will be key as the Aggies face a talented Ole Miss offensive line, which will likely get Laremy Tunsil back after missing the first seven games of the season. 

Christian Kirk and Ricky Seals-Jones 

As usual, Christian Kirk makes his appearance on Hot or Not, but now he holds this spot with fellow receiver Ricky Seals-Jones. The medical redshirt sophomore has really come on for Kyle Allen and recorded the biggest game of his young career with six receptions for 107 yards and a touchdown against the Crimson Tide. Kirk was his usual self, gathering seven catches for 90 yards and a thrilling punt return for a touchdown, his second of the season. Besides that punt return, Alabama really limited Kirk and his big plays in the passing game, not allowing him to run after the catch as he is so accustomed to doing.

WHO’S NOT

Kyle Allen

The sophomore quarterback struggled from the beginning of the game on Saturday, almost throwing an interception on the first play of the game on a pass to Kirk. Allen was pressured consistently by the Alabama pass rush, which forced him to make uncharacteristic throws that deflated the Aggies. The sophomore completed 20-for-40 passes for 263 yards and a touchdown with three interceptions, all taken back the other way for Alabama touchdowns. The turnovers from Allen put the Aggies on the back foot all day and caused A&M to play catchup against a team that’s tough to play against straight up.

The Linebacking Corps

The Aggie linebackers had a tough time tackling Derrick Henry in the first half. Henry, who amassed a total of 236 yards, broke tackles and got a lot of yards after contact. Although Henry is a load to corral being one of the best running backs in the country, the Aggies needed to do a better job of controlling Henry and forcing Jake Coker to beat them down the field.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

The atmosphere at Vaught-Hemingway will be electric with Ole Miss having its back against the wall. After losing last week, both teams are in a must-win scenario if they want to make the College Football Playoff or even the SEC Championship. This will be the first true road game for the Aggies, as A&M will be playing its first game outside of the state of Texas this season.

• Hot or Not

Photo by Photo By: Bryan Johnson