Kentucky dominates Aggies 100-58

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Sophomore guard Admon Gilder’s 13 points were tied for the team lead in scoring against Kentucky. 

Aggie men’s basketball traveled to Lexington on Tuesday night to take on the No. 6 Kentucky Wildcats. Sophomore guard Admon Gilder made a three to start the game and give the Aggies a 3-0 lead, which the Wildcats answered with 15 straight points and never looked back on their way to a 100-58 win.

Head coach Billy Kennedy started former walk-on guard Chris Collins and senior forward Tavario Miller in place of usual starters JC Hampton and Tonny Trocha-Morelos. Hampton and Trocha-Morelos had apparently violated team rules, but both entered the game shortly after the game started.

The Aggies were led by sophomores Tyler Davis and Admon Gilder. Davis had 13 points and two rebounds, while Gilder had 13 points, six rebounds, and two assists. Kennedy’s offense usually runs through feeding Davis in the post, but Kentucky couldn’t have been more prepared to defend Davis in the post.

Kentucky was led by its incredible backcourt of freshmen Malik Monk and De’Aaron Fox. Monk dropped 26 points and Fox scored 15 points, while adding six assists and five rebounds. The duo has been dominating Kentucky’s opponents all year and the Aggies did nothing to stop that trend.

The Aggies turned the ball over 25 times, which is by far a season high. Kentucky took advantage and scored 35 of its 100 points off the 25 turnovers.
Next, the Aggies will travel east to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks on Saturday, January 7th. The game will tip at 12:30 p.m. on CBS.