Men’s tennis sets out to repeat SEC title

The Texas A&M men’s tennis team returns to SEC competition this weekend for the first time since hoisting the conference championship hardware last spring.
Three doubles pairs — Shane Vinsant and A.J. Catanzariti, Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo and Frankie Colunga and Max Lunkin — will represent A&M at the SEC Fall Classic in Gainesville, Fla. All six players will compete in singles as well.
Head coach Steve Denton said he is excited about the potential of this year’s team, but is quick to place any talk of a title defense in perspective.
“Obviously this is a new season,” Denton said. “We have to go in it with actually a pretty humble attitude of, ‘We have to reestablish ourselves as one of the forces in the SEC.’”
The tournament marks the first official competition of the 2014-15 season for four of the six players traveling. Frankie Colunga and Max Lunkin both competed in the Midland Invitational last weekend, and as a doubles pair advanced to the semifinals of the main draw before competition was canceled due to rain.
As a result, Denton is looking to gain playing time for his players who either need experience or a chance to “get the rust off.”
“This is another opportunity for our young players to play, for our veteran players to get out and get some matches in,” Denton said. “[We’re] just trying to see where we are and what we really need to continue to work on to get better.”
The Aggies will compete in five more events in the fall season prior to commencing their spring campaign in mid-January.
Upcoming tournaments aside, Denton remains optimistic about where his team stands this early in the season.
“Our guys are doing a really good job of, you know, of staying with the process of just working hard and trying to get better,” Denton said. “If we continue to do that, then I think we are going to have a lot of success.”
First-round action for the SEC Fall Classic begins at 9 a.m. Friday.