NCAA Cross Country Regional

The Dale Watts ’71 Cross Country Course has hosted SEC Championships as well as NCAA Regional Cross Country meets.

Texas A&M hosted the NCAA South Central Regional Cross Country meet on Friday.  The women ran a 6K with the fastest finish at 19:35.5 by an Arkansas Razorback. After the conclusion of the women’s race, the men ran a 10K with a first place time of 29:49.1 by a runner from Tulane. Both the men’s and women’s teams from University of Arkansas and University of Texas will compete in the national championship next weekend.

• Texas A&M Cross Country team members not participating came out to support their teammates with signs and 12th Man towels.

• Sophomore Ashley Driscoll was the first Aggie to cross the finish line, coming in at 18th individually.

• In the final straightaway, senior Kelsey Persyn sprints past a runner from University of North Texas to finish with a time of 21:03.9.

• Sophomore Lauryn Barrientos makes her way to the finish line followed closely by teammate sophomore Ashton Hutcherson.

• Junior Lizette Chapa finished the 6K with a time of 21:41.3.

• Aggie Cross Country runners made their way to the meet to cheer on the men just after the start of the race.

• Junior Lizette Chapa lead the crowd in yells during the men’s race.

• In the first lap of the race there was little to no separation between the runners.

• Senior Christian Farris and sophomore Jon Bishop kept pace with the lead group through the second lap of the 10K.

• Sophomore Jon Bishop sprints past a Razorback runner and is the first Aggie to cross the finish line in an overall fourth place finish. He will compete individually in the National Championship next weekend.

• Senior Alex Riba finished in 24th with a final time of 30:52.8.

• After the races, medals were presented to the top 25 individuals in both races. In the end, the top two teams move on to Nationals and the top four individuals outside of those teams will compete individually.

• In all, Aggie Cross Country will send two men, senior Christian Farris and sophomore Jon Bishop, to compete individually at the National Championship meet.

• While they did not advance as a team, the Aggies look forward to competing during the Indoor and Outdoor Track seasons.