No. 14 Texas A&M falls to LSU on the road

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Senior guard Lulu McKinney attempts a shot.

Sunday, No. 14 Texas A&M traveled to Baton Rouge to face LSU in a late season conference showdown between two rivals. However, the Aggies would fall to the Tigers, 80-78 in a thrilling game that came down to the final seconds after freshman Chennedy Carter’s potential game winning three-pointer fell just short.
LSU would start the action off hot in the game, jumping out to a nine point lead in the first quarter that would be the biggest of the game for either side. The Tigers were led by guard Chloe Jackson, who would drop nine points in the first quarter.
The Aggies would respond to the deficit however, scoring in the paint with senior center Khaalia Hillsman, who would lead Texas A&M with seven points in the quarter and Carter would drain three point shot as the quarter came to an end, giving the Tigers the 23-21 lead heading into the second quarter.
The Aggies would go on to close the gap with a solid second quarter that would be brought on by consistent rebounding, a stat which Texas A&M leads the SEC in and more tough play within the paint.
Hillsman continued to lead the team in points and solid play from junior guard Danni Williams would elevate the Aggies back into the game during the second quarter. The Aggies would lead at halftime 35-34, shooting 54 percent from the field and outscoring LSU 24-10 in the paint.
Despite the game being close at halftime, it would be all Texas A&M at the start of the third. The Aggies jumped out to an eight point lead, while LSU struggled score until the four minutes had gone by in the third quarter.
In what appeared to be Texas A&M taking off on a run on LSU, the Tigers would find their footing with a good team defensive effort to slow down the Aggies scoring.
A&M themselves in foul trouble, sending LSU to the free throw line three times midway through the third. After a series of good field goals from the Tigers led by Jackson and guard Raigyne Louis, LSU would tie the game 52-52 heading into the fourth.
The fourth quarter would have the Tigers dominating Texas A&M, being led by Jackson who would score 11 points, including a three pointer.
Texas A&M relied on Williams’s leadership and cscoring as she led the Aggies back, scoring eight points in the last minute and 15 seconds of the game with six of those points coming beyond the three point arc, but A&M fell short.
The 14th ranked Aggies fall to 19-7 on the season, and 8-4 in conference play. Texas A&M will resume play vs. the Florida Gators at home here at Reed Arena on Thursday, February 15th at 7 P.M. for the team’s annual BTHO Breast Cancer game.