Soccer shuts out Georgia at home

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior Grace Piper gave the Aggies a lead early with her goal in the second minute.

No. 2 Texas A&M soccer rallied on Sunday evening at Ellis Field as they hosted the Georgia Bulldogs. The Aggies advanced to an 11-1 overall season record in a 2-0 victory.A&M suffered its first loss of the season at Arkansas on Thursday.
Sunday’s win secures the Aggies of a winning record for the 26 straight consecutive season.
While both goals in the game were tallied in the first half, the Aggies still remained dominant in overall possession and shots taken in the second half. A&M scored multiple goals for a 13th consecutive match. The A&M defense stayed strong throughout the game, resulting in the team’s ninth shutout of the season and senior goalkeeper Cosette Morché only needed to make one save.
Against the Bulldogs, the Aggies relied on set pieces as they have throughout the season. On Sunday evening, senior defender Kendall Ritchie converted her third goal of the season while junior midfielder Grace Piper collected her fourth goal on the year.
With a strong first half performance across the board, the Aggies secured their control over the Bulldogs. The Aggies earned an early advantage when Ritchie centered a free kick from 40 yards out, into the penalty box to find Piper among the mix of players, who would then notch in the early goal in the third minute.
Towards the backend of the first half, sophomore midfielder Addie McCain schemed a short pass off a corner kick to find Ritchie, unmarked, allowing her a 30-yard shot that would sneak in to the top left corner of the goal for the second and final goal of the game.
The Aggies will hit the road as they face Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi on Friday at 7pm.