Texas A&M senior Daniel Rodrigues lines up the ball during The Aggie Invitational on Saturday, April 6, 2024, at Traditions Golf Club. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Slumped at the semis
Aggie students gather to protest university funding of Israeli weapons manufacturing in Academic Plaza on Monday, April 29, 2024.
Students at A&M gather for pro-Palestine protest, calling for university divestment
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • April 29, 2024

Hundreds of Texas A&M students protested the Israel-Hamas war and assembled in Academic Plaza, demanding A&M divest funds and denounce...

Slumped at the semis
Idani Cantu, Sports Editor • April 28, 2024

The No. 22 Texas A&M men’s golf team traveled to St. Simons Island, Georgia to compete in the 2024 SEC Championship in hopes of taking...

Nicholas Gutteridge April 25, 2024

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

A&M softball looks for rebellious senior weekend against Rebels

Photo by Jaime Rowe
Senior INF Trinity Cannon (6) celebrates after hitting a home run during Texas A&M’s game against UNT on March 6, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)

After a trip down to Tuscaloosa, Alabama resulted in No. 12 Texas A&M softball taking two of three against No. 13 Alabama, A&M will take on another familiar SEC opponent. This weekend, it faces Ole Miss for a three-game series April 19-21, with A&M looking to defend home-field advantage in its last regular season weekend series at Davis Diamond.

A&M softball last played Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi in April 2023 with the Aggies taking the series 2-1. This year, A&M will host Ole Miss in College Station with a chance to sweep Ole Miss for the first time since 2018.

The Maroon and White have been dominant at home. So far this season, A&M is 20-2 at home with an overall record of 33-9. Ole Miss is 9-6 on the road and 25-19 overall. In SEC play, A&M is in second with a 12-6 conference record while the Rebels are last in the conference with a 3-12 record.

“I think the 12th Man has been tremendous for us this year, and I think we will only continue to get better and better,” coach Trisha Ford said. “I don’t think we’ll need any motivation. It’s going to be senior weekend. There’s a lot that’s on the line. I think it’s just again, for us, to relax and come out and play our game.”

Offensively, the Aggies have been electric at the plate, finding success from many players in the lineup. As of Tuesday evening, the Aggies as a team are No. 16 in scoring with 271 runs, No. 17 in slugging percentage at .525, No. 18 in on-base percentage with .411 and No. 21 in the nation in home runs with 50. Defensively, the Aggies are also No. 15 in shutouts with 11 and No. 20 in ERA at 2.32.

At the plate, A&M has had many star players contribute, including senior INF Trinity Cannon, junior OF Allie Enright, sophomore INF Amari Harper and graduate OF Jazmine Hill. Cannon leads the Maroon and White with 10 home runs and is tied for the most RBIs with Enright at 38. Harper leads the team with her .379 batting average, and Hill is No. 21 in the nation in on-base percentage at .531. Overall, the Aggies have seen the ball well, hitting .310 as a team and limiting opponents to a .198 batting average.

Cannon’s high-powered ability on offense showcased why she was awarded the SEC Co-Player of the Week with her notable performance against Alabama. Cannon’s recognition was her second career weekly honor and the first she received this season. She finished with a 1.500 OPS and went five-for-eight at the dish with four walks.

The Rebels have a handful of offensive players that the Aggies will hope to shut out, including senior RHP Aynslie Furbush, junior C Lexie Brady and sophomore UT Jalia Lassiter. Furbush holds one of the Rebels’ best batting averages at .349 and is the team leader with 33 RBIs. Brady leads the Rebels with 12 home runs, while Lassiter currently has the most hits at 50 and leads the team with 149 at-bats.

Ford is expected to hand the ball to junior Emiley Kennedy. On the season, Kennedy has a 1.56 ERA, is second in the nation with 17 complete games, fifth in shutouts with 7, 13th in wins with 17 and 19th in strikeouts with 146. Kennedy last appeared against Alabama working 6.0 innings, allowing three hits, one run and one walk with six strikeouts.

The Maroon and White will be back in action Friday, April 19 at Davis Diamond with first pitch set for 6 p.m. on SEC Network+.

View Comments (1)