Sumlin sticks to script despite pressure

Photo by Photo by Hanna Hausman

A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin addressed the ongoing conversation about his job security on the Internet and social media at his Tuesday press conference.  

Despite having to field some hard-hitting questions, Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin was his emotionally-steady self at his weekly press conference on Tuesday afternoon.
Since Saturday’s loss to Auburn, there has been much speculation that the Sumlin era would be coming to a close in Aggieland after this season, if not sooner. However, when Sumlin was asked if he has discussed his future at A&M with athletic director Scott Woodward, he said he has not.
“We don’t get together until later in the week, he’s always around,” Sumlin said. “Early in the week it wouldn’t be uncommon for us not to get together. He’s usually around practice so when the injury situation clears up that’s when we have a discussion. So, no we haven’t really talked.”
Two decades ago, this speculation would not have as been as widespread. However, the integration of social media has augmented the spread of opinions, thoughts and ideas. Outside noise can often times affect the players in the locker room. But Sumlin said he thinks it is important that his players do not get caught up in what outside people are staying, but recognized that it’s nearly impossible in contemporary society to not allow players to use social media.
“You can ask players to stay away from social media, but that’s asking a lot. I don’t think it’s possible in this day and age,” Sumlin said. “I can’t control the outside message. What’s important is that the message in our meeting room becomes the message.”
Regardless of the speculation surrounding his future on social media, Sumlin insisted that his mindset is unchanged, focusing on one game at a time.
“Whatever happens on Saturday, you move on to the next week,” Sumlin said. “That’s how I approach it, and that’s how I’ll continue to approach it going forward. The big picture will take care of itself.”
Sumlin is currently focusing on the last home game of the season against New Mexico. Though the game is not expected to be close, the game itself will feature two coaching staffs that have close ties.
New Mexico head coach Bob Davie was on the A&M coaching staff for eight seasons, from 1985-93. He spent four years as the outside linebackers coach and four years as the defensive coordinator. Jordan Peterson, New Mexico’s current safeties coach, played four seasons for the Aggies and then spent two years as a graduate assistant. Sumlin and A&M offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone were also on staff with New Mexico wide receivers coach Cory Martin at Minnesota.
Sumlin said New Mexico has almost 20 players from Texas on their roster and praised the Lobos’ strong running game.
“They use a lot of motion and a lot of different options,” Sumlin said. “They want to run it. They’re creative in how they run it. They use a lot of read-option schemes and have been one of the top schools in the country running the ball.”
Saturday’s game will also be the last home football game radio broadcaster Dave South will call. South has been “The Voice of The Aggies” since 1985 and announced in August he will be retiring from announcing football and basketball games after this season. South will continue to call Aggie baseball games past this season.
“It’s an emotional time,” Sumlin said. “To be around a legend like him, a guy who’s truly excited about Texas A&M sports across the board and whose voice is recognized nationwide; you become friends with those who have been in a foxhole with you.”

• Under Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M is 3-12 against SEC West opponents at Kyle Field. The Aggies have also lost seven straight home games to divisional foes. 

Photo by Photo by Cristian Aguirre