Texas A&M and Texas host game for hurricane relief

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Junior guard Admon Gilder tied teammate Tyler Davis with a game-high 23 points in the Aggies 88-65 win over West Virginia. Gilder also added nine rebounds and seven assists. 

On Wednesday night, Texas A&M and Texas met at Tudor Fieldhouse at Rice University to play an exhibition game in order to help raise money for Rebuild Texas. Rebuild Texas is an charity organization, founded by Governor Greg Abbott, and their purpose is to help Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. The friendly charity game was an intense and classic Lonestar Showdown that was played in front of an energetic crowd of 2,048 fans. After trailing for most of the game, the Aggies came back to make things close at the end of the game, but were ultimately unable to complete the comeback. Longhorns won, 73-69.
Photos by C. Morgan Engel

• Freshman guard Matt Coleman dribbles around sophomore forward Robert Williams.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Both teams line up to sing the National Anthem before tip-off. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior guard Admon Gilder splits the defenders and goes up to lay the ball in. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshmen forward Savion Flagg  helps freshman point guard T.J. Starks to his feet after Starks was able to make a lay up and draw the foul.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior center Tyler Davis had 16 points and 7 rebounds against the Longhorns. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • The Reed Rowdies and the 12th man showed up to Tudor Fieldhouse ready to cheer on their Aggies. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman forward Isiah Jasey, sophomore guard Andrew Jones, and freshman forward Mohamed Bamba all contend for the rebound. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior center Tyler Davis celebrates after throwing down a monstrous dunk in the first half. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman forward Mohamed Bamba had 15 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a few monstrous dunks against the Aggies. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior center Tyler Davis works around the defender to lay in the ball. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman guard Jay Jay Chandler splits the defense and drives toward the rim.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas Governor Greg Abbott addresses the large crowd at Tudor Fieldhouse.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior forward DJ Hogg looks to pass the ball inside.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Sophomore forward Robert Williams fakes a shot to get freshman forward Mohamed Bamba in the air. 

• Junior center Tyler Davis and sophomore forward Robert Williams combined for 27 points and 22 rebounds Wednesday night. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior guard Admon Gilder’s shot attempt is blocked by freshman forward Mohamed Bamba.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman guard T.J. Starks plays tight defense on freshman guard Matt Coleman. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas Head Coach Shaka Smart said after the game said his players buckled down in the last few minutes and made some big plays to seal the game.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas Governor Greg Abbott said before the game that he was proud of both Texas and Texas A&M for agreeing to play this game to benefit those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas Head Coach Shaka Smart and freshman forward John Walker III shake hands post-game. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel