Texas A&M back in action after break

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

A&M kicks off the spring slate of competition against TCU on the road. 

After losing to Oklahoma State, the No. 3 Texas A&M Equestrian team are back and set to take their Hunt Seat and Western riders to face No. 9 Texas Christian for the second time this season.
The event will be taking place in a split location competition in both Springtown and Fort Worth, Texas on Jan. 25, with the Springtown competition beginning at 11 a.m. and the Fort Worth competition starting at 5 p.m.
Tana McKay, A&M head coach, said the girls and horses were a bit out of practice coming off their winter break. Because of this, their game plan going into this matchup is to get their heads back into the game and take care of the little details during preparation for the event.
“Everybody is a little bit rusty. We really have to take care of the details and get back into that mode,” McKay said. “It’s hard when you only have two weeks [to practice]. We’ve done some video review and tried to do some of that stuff on the side too that can help. Just try to get back into our game faces.”
The Aggies (6-2, 2-1 SEC) and the Horned Frogs (2-5, 0-2 Big 12) last met in College Station in October when A&M defeated TCU 16-3.
Racheal Hake, senior Hunt Seat rider, said although A&M is ranked higher than TCU and have defeated them once before, she believes the Horned Frogs will provide a good competition on their home field.
“I think they’re going to put on a really good competition,” Hake said. “I think that we’re going to have to ride to the best of our ability and not take anything for granted. Even though they may not be ranked as high.”
Avery Ellis, senior horsemanship rider, and Hake said they are trying to take advantage of the time they have left with their teammates, considering these will be some of the last competitions they will ride with them before graduating.
Hake said being a part of the team has changed her perspective on life and riding.
“There’s pressure there but I’m also trying to take advantage of this year because it is my last year and I’ve loved doing this,” Hake said. “It’s changed my perspective on riding and life in general [from] just being on this team.”
Ellis said although last season was one for the books, she is focusing on making the most of her season with A&M.
“I had a great year last year,” Ellis said. “This year I’m just really trying to enjoy myself, enjoy the team, take it all in, and enjoy being around the people I’m with and doing this for the last time.”
The Aggies’ Hunt Seat team will compete at 11 a.m. on Jan. 25 at Turning Point Ranch in Springtown. A&M will then travel to Fort Worth for the Western team to compete at the Justin Arena in the Fort Worth Stockyards at 5 p.m.