Texas A&M leads Nevada 24-10 at the half

Photo by File

Kyle Allen finished the first half of the Nevada game with 203 yards and three total touchdowns. 

The Texas A&M football team under the direction of head coach Kevin Sumlin has grown accustomed to starting fast. Entering the 11 a.m. kickoff with Nevada, A&M scored first in 35-out-of-41 games in which Sumlin was the lead man. Saturday the Aggies extended that statistic to 36-for-42. The quick start for A&M produced a half time lead of 24-10.
Kyle Allen’s first offensive drive was surgical. The sophomore completed all three of his passing attempts and capped off the series with a one yard rushing touchdown. All-in-all, it only took the Aggie offense two minutes and nineteen seconds to reach the endzone.
As some had predicted, the A&M defense seemed to have a bit of sluggishness to them in the early going of the early bird matchup. The Aggies allowed a pair of explosive runs by the Nevada rushing attack, one going 31 yards for a touchdown that evened the score up at seven apiece.
Following the Wolf Pack touchdown, A&M dodged a bullet when a strip-turned-score from Nevada was nullified by a defensive holding call. The Aggies were able to use the call as momentum to continue the drive that saw Speedy Noil earn his first touchdown of the season. 
Seeing action for the Aggies on both sides of the ball was RB/DB Brandon Williams. After starting the game at cornerback, Williams got some snaps at running back to relieve senior Tra Carson. 
In the second quarter Kyle Allen manufactured one of the quickest offensive drives of the season for A&M that amassed 78 yards on three plays in just 1:07. Christian Kirk got the juices flowing with a 48 yard reception along the A&M sideline, and Allen found Josh Reynolds in the same spot as last week for a 25 yard touchdown reception that gave the Aggies an 11 point lead. 
For the remainder of the second quarter, the Wolf Pack and Aggies traded empty series until Taylor Bertolet split the uprights on a 32 yard field goal that increased the A&M lead to 24-10 heading into the break.
The second half of Saturday’s game will serve as the last bit of live action A&M will experience before SEC play begins next week at the Southwest Classic in Arlington.