The (other) Super Bowl

National Signing Day has arrived. Here’s a list from sports reporters Brandon Wheeland and Kevin Roark of the top names to know for the big day from midterm enrollees — who are already on campus, but whose names will inevitably surface in the Wednesday conversation — to verbal commits and the players for whom Kevin Sumlin will fight down to the wire. Check out The Battalion Thursday for a complete overview of the class and follow @battsports for realtime coverage of signing day.
WR Christian Kirk: enrolled
The nation’s No. 4 wide receiver, the five-star recruit from Scottsdale, Arizona, enrolled in January. In his senior year at Saguaro High School, Kirk rushed for 1,692 yards and 25 touchdowns, reeled in 1,187 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns and had 49 tackles as a cornerback with four picks. Kirk managed a couple special team scores as well. He was named the Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year and led his team to a state title in 2014.
Part wide receiver, part running back, all football player, Kirk possesses great speed and vision. He should blossom in the slot receiver position with his rapid acceleration off the line and terrific feet to make plays in space.
DT Daylon Mack: target
From Gladewater, Texas, the defensive tackle compiled 82 tackles during his senior year — 37 for loss — with five sacks. He also had an interception and four forced fumbles. Out of the backfield, Mack ran for 262 yards and 12 touchdowns. Mack decommitted to A&M, but after the Chavis hire he has narrowed his choices to TCU, Texas and A&M. Reports Tuesday indicated A&M could be the frontrunner. Mack will make his choice on ESPNU Wednesday.
CB Kendall Sheffield: target
It may be a little too late to sway the five-star corner away from Alabama and Nick Saban, but Kevin Sumlin is giving it his best shot.
The 6-foot, 180-pound defensive stud is a two-sport athlete, excelling in track as well.
LB Richard Moore: enrolled
A three-star recruit from Cedar Hill, Texas. At 6 feet, 210 pounds, the outside linebacker collected 118 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and seven forced fumbles during his senior year.
Moore decommitted after the firing of former defensive coordinator Mark Snyder. However, when John Chavis was brought in by head coach Kevin Sumlin, Moore committed again to A&M at the beginning of the New Year.
He has spectacular run blitz timing and speed that makes him a serious threat for anyone on the ground. Moore is not the biggest player on the field, but he plays like it.
WR Damarkus Lodge: target
Speculation has the four-star wide receiver in a virtual coin flip between Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Ranked the No. 9 WR in Texas, he would be an excellent compliment to Ricky Seals-Jones, Speedy Noil and the rest of the talented WR crew. Pairing with Kirk would be an outstanding duo for this year’s recruiting class.
DE James Lockhart: verbal
For the third straight year the state’s top defensive end is headed to Aggieland. From Ennis, Texas, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound end compiled 130 tackles, 14 sacks and five forced fumbles during his senior year. He would be a nice compliment to Myles Garrett, who has a similar style.
RB Kendall Bussey: verbal
After flipping his commitment from Tennessee on Monday, Bussey joins Bradford as the second running back in the 2015 class. At 5 feet 8, 205 pounds, Bussey could run through linebackers like Ben Malena did before him.
QB Kyler Murray: verbal
Perhaps the most talked-about recruit in Texas, five-star Kyler Murray is the No. 3 ranked quarterback in the nation. From Allen, Texas, the dual-threat QB went 43-0 in his high school career, winning three state championships and was named the National Player of the Year in 2014. Murray threw for 4,713 yards, 54 touchdowns and eight interceptions while also rushing for 1,495 yards and 25 scores during his senior year. His father, Kevin Murray, played quarterback at Texas A&M from 1983-86.
RB Jay Bradford: verbal
Four-star running back Jay Bradford is the No. 21 back in the nation. With Trey Williams entering the 2015 NFL draft, A&M is looking for a back that can complement new run game coordinator Dave Christensen.
Bradford compiled 539 rush attempts for 3,292 yards and 34 touchdowns in two seasons at Splendora High School. He stands 5 feet 10 and weighs 191 pounds. He is a physical runner with a 40-yard dash of 4.44 seconds.
CB Roney Elam: verbal
The first thing you see in Roney Elam’s tape is a ball-hawking defensive back who is not afraid to close and attack the ball carrier. For a 6-foot-3, 170-pound cornerback, Elam packs a punch. He saw action as a quarterback in high school, but it was at corner that he really shined as an instinctive, bone-crushing tackler.
OT Trevor Elbert: verbal
At 6 feet 5, 290 pounds, four-star offensive tackle Trevor Elbert is a true beast. With spectacular strength and initial quickness, the Rockwall, Texas native creates holes big enough to drive a car through.
A rare commodity, the Aggies are looking to fill the shoes of Cedric Ogbuehi and Jarvis Harrison.
Photos Courtesy of 247

•