Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Time shavin,’ point scorin’

A&M swimming and diving team continues its push toward winning SECs on Day 2
Photo by CJ Smith
Junior Trey Dickey swims in the Men 500 LC Meter Freestyle during the 2023 Art Adamson Invitational at the Texas A&M Natatorium on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

Coming off a 1-2 finish in the men’s 1-meter diving from Day 1, No. 11 Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving made its first appearance in SEC Championships on Tuesday, Feb. 20 and didn’t disappoint in Auburn, Alabama.

Starting with the 3-meter dive, senior Mayson Richards made her SEC finals debut after placing seventh in prelims with a score of 294.20. In finals, she scored points for the Maroon and White with another seventh place finish, scoring 292.20.

With initial diving events done, the Aggies kicked off their swimming events strong, placing sixth in the 200-yard medley relay. Made up of freshman Miranda Grana, seniors Bobbi Kennett, Olivia Theall and Chloe Stepanek, they finished with a season-best time of one minute and 35.87 seconds.

The No. 11 A&M men’s swimming and diving team mirrored its counterparts with a sixth-place finish in the 200y medley relay. Sophomore Connor Foote and seniors Thomas Shomper, Alex Sanchez and Collin Fuchs combined for a time of 1:23.91. Though they were unable to crack the top five, Sanchez’s 50-yard breaststroke split of 23.42 marked a career-best as well as the third-fastest in A&M history.

Then, the women’s team had its first breakthrough in the meet.

In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the relay squad dropped almost six seconds en route to a fourth-place finish. Freshman Katie Walker, along with seniors Abby Grottle, Jordan Buechler and Stepanek, finished at 6:59.96, good for an A-cut time.

Though unable to replicate the same success, the men’s team scored points with another sixth-place finish in the 800y freestyle relay. Sophomore Baylor Nelson recorded the second-fastest time in program history in his 200-yard split. Joined by junior Trey Dickey, senior Carter Nelson and Fuchs, the relay team touched the wall at 6:19.01, shaving off seven seconds.

By the end of the day, the men’s squad maintained its first place positioning while the women came in at sixth.

The action continues as the climb to the top of the SEC continues on Wednesday, Feb. 21 with the 200-yard freestyle relay, 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley, 50-yard freestyle and 3-meter diving.