Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Schlossnagle reportedly taking head coaching job at Texas

Photo by Hannah Harrison
Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle stands in a huddle during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)

Just one day after leading Texas A&M baseball to a runner-up appearance at the Men’s College World Series, coach Jim Schlossnagle is leaving the Aggies to take the head coaching job at Texas, as first reported by Horns 247. 

Hours before the first pitch of the Aggies’ matchup against Tennessee, Texas announced longtime head coach David Pierce and the Longhorns had mutually agreed to part ways.

After the Aggies’ loss to Tennessee in game three of the MCWS, Schlossnagle was asked about the Texas opening.

“It’s pretty selfish of you to ask me that question, to be honest with you,” Schlossnagle said. “I left my family to be the coach at Texas A&M, I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again, and that hasn’t changed. In my mind, that’s unfair to talk about something like that. That’d be like you asking [junior OF Braden Montgomery] if he’s going to sign in the draft, but I understand you’ve got to ask the question. I gave up a big part of my life to come take this job, and I’ve poured every ounce of my soul into this job, and I’ve given this job every ounce I can possibly give it. Write that.”

Schlossnagle took over at A&M in 2022, going 153-62 during his stay in Aggieland along with two appearances in the final four of the MCWS. 

Prior to taking the A&M job, Schlossnagle spent 18 seasons at TCU, where he led the Horned Frogs to five MCWS appearances. Eight of those seasons were spent working under athletic director Chris Del Conte, who now holds the same position at Texas.

View Comments (5)