Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

Aggies to gather Sunday for Bonfire Remembrance

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Cadets stand shoulder-to-shoulder at the Bonfire Memorial during the 2018 Bonfire Remembrance ceremony. 

In the cold early morning hours of Sunday when campus is usually deserted, hundreds of Aggies will make their way to the Bonfire Memorial to remember the 12 Aggies who died after the stack collapsed at 2:42 a.m. on Nov. 18, 1999.
This year’s Bonfire Remembrance will mark the 19th anniversary of the collapse of Aggie Bonfire, which killed 11 students and one former student and injured 27. The ceremony begins at the time the stack fell in 1999 and is a somber reminder of the lives cut short.
Technology management senior Stephanie Chheng, a member of Traditions Council’s Bonfire Remembrance Committee, said the ceremony is all about letting the families of the deceased know their children are still remembered.
“The Aggie Spirit is so palpable during the ceremony,” Chheng said. “I can’t even put it into words. It’s really powerful to see so many Aggies gathered for people they probably didn’t know.”
The Yell Leaders start Remembrance by reciting the poem “The Last Corps Trip” because that was traditionally how Burn Night began. Then the names of the 12 are read out, and “Here” is said in reply to each. Typically, songs including “Amazing Grace” and “The Spirit of Aggieland” are sung to close out the night.
Distinguished professor of English Margaret Ezell, who has been teaching at A&M since 1982, heard about A&M traditions from her Aggie grandfather when she was growing up and remembers Bonfire before the collapse.
“Most people enjoyed the tradition of Bonfire, but there were concerns about safety because it was getting enormous,” Ezell said. “The partial collapse a couple years before worried a lot of us. I learned about the collapse later in the morning because I was taking my husband in to be treated for cancer. I saw the news on the TV mid-morning, and it was shocking. We were hoping they would not find anyone underneath, but it was incredibly sad and heartbreaking.”
The 1999 tragedy was caused by structural unsoundness of the stack. The collapse sparked controversy over the university’s failure to ensure safety during such a large construction project undertaken by students. It prompted an outpouring of grief from the campus community, including a candlelight vigil on the night Bonfire would have burned.
“It’s hard to describe the atmosphere of campus the next day,” Ezell said. “The trauma was terrible — there were very few undergraduates who didn’t know someone who was hurt or involved. It wasn’t isolated; it was like a shockwave.”
In addition to the ceremony, the MSC Hospitality is offering free tours of the Bonfire Memorial from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, including information on the history of Bonfire and the symbolism of the Memorial. A reflections display memorializing the lives lost is currently set up in the MSC Flag Room.
“As an Aggie, Remembrance is an experience you kind of need to have,” Chheng said. “It’s an integral part of A&M’s history, and it really puts things in perspective. It exemplifies what it means to be an Aggie.”