Traditions: Bad Bull

Sigmas
Photo by FILE
Sigmas

Bad Bull is kryptonite to an Aggie.
When you see Bad Bull, you know it. It’s shoes on the MSC grass, it’s booing at an Aggie game, it’s failing to reply to a “Howdy.” Simply put, Bad Bull is anything that disrespects the Aggie Spirit.
The Aggie Spirit, which was first conceptualized by an Old Ag named Marvin Mimms in 1925 when he wrote the lyrics for “The Spirit of Aggieland,” is a connection all Aggies, students and former students, share.
Stephen Sibbitt, biology junior and AOLP Orientation Leader, said Bad Bull has historically been about keeping A&M distinguished.
“It dates back to Old Army and wanting to keep the university as prestigious as we want it to be,” Sibbitt said.
The term “Bad Bull” reflects on A&M’s history as an agricultural school. A bull’s worth is determined by how well it illustrates positive traits, which propagates a strong herd. If something is “Good Bull,” it means it reflects positively upon A&M and helps continue tradition. Bad Bull is the opposite. It negatively affects the herd and breaks tradition.
Benjamin Ikwuagwu, business sophomore and AOLP Orientation Leader, said freshman year taught him much about Bad Bull.
“One notable moment was on my first stroll down Military Walk,” Ikwuagwu said. “As I admired the beautiful landscape, I hear this random person yelling from a hammock between two trees, ‘Do you wanna graduate? That’s bad luck! But if you walk backwards, your luck will be restored!’ At first I thought this guy was weird, but I realized that I had walked on the seal. Trying to hide my embarrassment, I took those steps backwards and continued with my day.”

• Bad Bull: Stepping on any of the seals on campus

Photo by Tim Lai