No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Traditions: Good Bull

Photo by By Vanessa Peña

Good Bull: Saying Howdy 

It’s a term that is as enigmatic as it is iconic. Its uses run the gamut — from describing particular situations to at times being the pinnacle of good character — and it’s one of those unique Aggie-isms that tend to leave the un-indoctrinated scratching their heads. Try as we might though, Good Bull — much like the Aggies who use it the term — simply can’t be defined by conventional rules.
Forest Allen, leadership studies senior and member of the Aggie Experience Council, said Good Bull has a lot to do with Aggie Spirit.
“I’d say Good Bull is anything that encompasses the Aggie Spirit,” Allen said “Anything that perpetuates and grows what it means to be an Aggie in a well mannered and fun-loving way.”
Allen said traditions that might not be technically allowed but are still done in good fun are good examples of ‘Good Bull’ in his mind.
“Things that aren’t conventionally allowed, but still not harmful and good fun [are good examples].” Allen said “Like pond-hopping is Good Bull.”
Darby Adamson, accounting senior and member of Traditions Council, said Good Bull is about more than school spirit.
“Its kind of an all-encompassing term, which is why a lot of people are like, ‘What does that mean?’ and I can see how that’s hard to explain,” Adamson said. “It’s kind of like a mentality, not just a description.”
Adamson said Good Bull is representative of the unique connection Aggies share.
“Like whooping when someone says your year and stuff like that — that’s an example of Good Bull. Other schools don’t do that,” Adamson said. “Its just to show the connection to other people around you.”
Adamson said for her, Good Bull is about doing right by each other and putting others ahead of ourselves.
“We put people who we don’t even know ahead of ourselves,” Adamson said. “And that’s why [A&M] is turning over these great business people and these great engineers — because they’re good people.”
Forest Allen said it’s not necessarily about the exact things that we do, but why it is that we do them.
“We are an Aggie family. We’ve been consistently ranked the friendliest campus in the nation, and part of that is the tradition of ‘Howdy’ itself, but mostly because it’s not just that we say ‘Howdy’ but why we say ‘Howdy,’” Allen said. “Being an Aggie means something aside from just being a student at the school.”
Adamson said Good Bull is about more than a tradition or a yell — it’s caring about others.
“People who go to A&M are people who want to be a part of that culture that cares about other people,” Adamson said. “So whenever you leave this place I think you’re turning out a lot of great individuals who care about others, and I think that’s pretty Good Bull.”

• Good Bull: Horse laughing instead of booing

Photo by By Vanessa Peña