Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Aggie basketball lands verbal from 4-star point guard

The Texas A&M basketball program landed its first commitment in the 2016 recruiting class. J.J. Caldwell, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Cypress Woods High School in Cypress, Texas, verbally committed to Texas A&M on Sunday as was reported initially by Scout.com.

Caldwell, who is set to land on campus in the fall semester of 2016, will join an Aggie backcourt much less familiar than the current model. Seniors stalwarts Alex Caruso and Danuel House only have one year left of eligibility. Their inevitable departure at the conclusion of next season means that there should be plenty of room for Caldwell to make an immediate impact from day one.

Regarded as one of the best passers and top distributors in his class, Caldwell should be able to plug the gap left behind by Caruso for coach Kennedy and his squad. He has also shown a knack for getting to the basket with his quickness and 190 pound frame.
Currently, Caldwell is spending his spring playing for the Houston Defenders in the Under Armour Association. Through eight games, he has averaged 9.1 points and 6.9 assists per game.