Aggie volleyball takes on Mississippi State on the road

A%26M+Volleyball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
A&M Volleyball

Hail State is the only thing keeping the Aggies from advancing their win streak to 10 straight games. The Aggies recently were taken to the fifth set against Ole Miss Rebels, whom the Aggies swept earlier this season, but were able to pull off a win to advance their win streak to nine games.

Texas A&M volleyball (18-6, 11-2 SEC) concludes its two-game action in Mississippi with the Mississippi State Bulldogs (14-13, 3-10 SEC) Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. in Starkville, Mississippi. The Aggies competed against the Bulldogs nearly a month ago on Oct. 18 in College Station and were able to pull away with a quick sweep. The rematch will be broadcasted on SEC Network +.

Since the previous matchup between the teams, the Bulldogs have struggled to compete in the SEC. The Bulldogs were able to take two matches – Tennessee and Auburn, to the fifth set, but were unable to finish the match with a win. MSU also lost to Missouri 3-1, and were swept by Florida and Arkansas. However, they were able to catch a win against non-conference opponent Troy.

As for the Aggies, they have not lost since the beginning of October against the Florida Gators. The Aggies have pushed to nine straight victories and are now looking to hit double digits before facing the Kentucky Wildcats on Wednesday at home. Their streak has propelled them to the top of the SEC standings and they have earned a total of six sweeps through the nine-game win streak duration. Should the Aggies be forced to a fifth set shootout, the Aggies have cemented their domination to finish as they are 5-0 this season in fifth sets.

A&M leads the SEC with 13.15 assists per set, led primarily by four-time SEC Setter of the Week Stephanie Aiple. Offensively, Jazzmin Babers, who has played in every match this season, leads the team with 280 kills on the season. On defense, Babers also leads the team with a dominating 117 total blocks. The team is rounded out by outside hitters Kiara McGee and Emily Hardesty, and with the help of middle blocker Shelby Sullivan and team libero Amy Nettles, the team has had a roster that can dominate on both sides of the court.

If the Aggies are able to pull away with a win against the Bulldogs, they will remain at the top of the SEC standings since they are currently tied with the Kentucky Wildcats at 11-2. Over two weeks ago, the Aggies topped the Wildcats in Lexington, Kentucky. and now hold the tiebreaker among the teams.
With only five games left in SEC action and focus on the Bulldogs, the Aggies hope to advance their win-streak to 10 Sunday against the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The match will begin at 1:00 p.m. in Starkville, Miss. and the will be broadcast on SEC Network +.