Award winning composer visits A&M campus

Music is a powerful focus and can come from deep thinking and creative thought, according to David Maslanka, an award-winning composer who visited A&M with the hopes to share this ideal.

During his four-day stay in Aggieland, Maslanka worked with the Chamber Orchestra, Symphonic Winds and Wind Symphony as the guest composer for their concert on Feb. 25.

According to Maslanka the Earth was formed, through, “a large and deep creative process,” and is a “living entity in its own way.”  Maslanka said tt has been a desire of his to connect these beliefs through his music. International studies freshman Darcey Rydl said she grasped these concepts when listening to Maslanka’s music during Saturday night’s concert.

“It’s like he’s trying to speak for nature right now, especially during this time when it’s getting destroyed in some places,” Rydl said.

Maslanka said his music has been influenced by his fascination with the human history of violence.

“It is possible to transform the energy of violence into the energy of creative love through musical sound,” Maslanka explained. “This is what I understood. You can change the effect of historical violence through musical sound.”

After working with Maslanka, business sophomore John Graham a member of Wind Symphony said he enjoyed seeing the performance and the joy Maslanka had in creating music.

“It’s great to see a composer that is really in it for the music,” Graham said, “ My personal favorite is when a guest composer is visibly moved and gets joy from all of this. That is what sets him apart.”

In addition, Maslanka dedicated the song “Tears” political science junior Alex Jones, the incoming Aggie Band Commander who died in a car accident on Aug. 8.