Clayton Williams Association Building Controversy

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

With spring ring day just days away, the Association of Former Students arrived to a stark quote scrawled in black spray paint Tuesday morning in front of the iconic giant Aggie ring outside of the building.

The University awoke to controversial graffiti outside of the Association of Former Students building Tuesday morning. The graffiti called attention to the name sake of the association building, Clayton Williams, who on March 24th 1990 made analogy about rape comparing it to bad weather claiming that “If it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.” the graffiti paraphrased William’s quote saying, “Rape is inevitable may as well enjoy it – Clayton Williams”.
The university police department is currently on the case searching for whoever committed the act, in the mean time Aggieland has been left in a swirl of emotions whether in response to the graffiti itself or more importantly in response to the ill placed lightheartedness William’s invokes in his weather/rape analogy.

• Student workers were stationed outside of the association building to guard a tarp which had been placed over the spray shortly after the local media had been informed.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The Association quickly reacted to the situation covering the spray painted quote from the association building’s name sake, Clayton William, after a social media storm began to brew. The misquote read, “Rape is inevitable may as well enjoy it – Clayton Williams” which stemmed from Clayton William’s infamous quote that likened rape to bad weather that went, “if it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.” many members of the Aggie community are shocked and disgusted to realize the building’s name sake said this.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The association was filled with mixed emotions following the incident Tuesday morning with some on the brink of tears, some finding it amusing, and others confused as to what triggered the situation and what the perpetrators motives were.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The association brought out a large pressure washer to remove the graffiti around noon before more passerbys could see it.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The pressure washer operator brought out chemicals that assisted in the washing of the graffiti, the words were removed in roughly 20 minutes of starting.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • Director of communications Scot Walker ’90 served as the point of contact for the media and organized keeping the area secure as the university had the graffiti removed.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The University put out a statement early Tuesday morning that was as follows,

“Around 3:50 a.m. April 4, individuals vandalized the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center by spray-painting a message on the Haynes Ring Plaza.

Surveillance footage of the individuals committing this act has been provided to the Texas A&M University police for investigation. We believe the best way to allow our university police to find the individuals responsible for this act is to allow their investigation to be completed before commenting further.

The graffiti will be removed and all Aggie Ring Day activities will proceed as planned.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The area was thoroughly cleaned Tuesday morning and the only sign that the graffiti was present is the lighter colored concrete left by pressure washing.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • Several association workers were on the case cleaning the graffiti and guarding the area from onlooking eyes and the media.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • Based upon the social media response many Aggies are left appalled that the grounds were vandalized, others are outraged by the quote from the building’s name sake, Clayton Williams, and many are simply left wondering what the motives for this act was.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The association has announced that Ring Day will continue as scheduled and that university police are in the process of investigating who committed the act and why.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • Barricades were set up to keep passerbys out during the process of cleaning the graffiti.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • The workers were careful not to reveal too much of the graffiti during the cleaning process, only removing a small portion of the tarp at a time.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • the photos that follow show the cleaning process of the graffiti.

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Photo by Brian Okosun

Photo by Brian Okosun