Coastal Impacts of Harvey

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre

Iman Shafi, a Ph.D. candidate in the Civil Engineering Department, records the properties of the soil samples collected before conducting erosion tests.

Iman Shafii, a Ph.D. candidate in the Civil Engineering Department, has been conducting erosion tests on soil samples collected in areas affected by Hurricane Harvey. The data is used to assess the erosion impact on the coast and to find ways to prevent future disasters. 

• Normally, equipment is used to collect test samples as far as 50 feet below the surface. However, equipment was not available due to Hurricane Harvey and test samples had to be collected by hand.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • Portions of the original test samples are placed in bags and stored for further testing.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • Two small portions of the original sample are placed in a furnace in order to remove all of the moisture in them. This is done to determine the amount of moisture in the sample.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • The EFA (Erosion Function Apparatus) method is one of the tests conducted on the test samples.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • Iman Shafii installs a sample into the EFA.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • During the EFA test, water flows over the sample, slowly eroding the sample.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • Iman Shafii periodically checks the sample, recording data, ensuring that it remains flush, and making changes to the flow of water.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • Once the test has been conducted, a large portion of the sample will have been eroded away.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre
  • The metal tubes are pushed into the ground in order to collect soil samples.

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre