Collegiate rings around Texas

Photo by Photo by Alexis Will
The Aggie Ring is recognized around the world for its ageless design and rich tradition.

Several other Texas schools have storied histories behind their class rings, like Texas A&M. Here are a few of the symbols and stories behind some of the Lone Star State’s other rings.

• Designed in 1995, Baylor’s class ring features its university seal and motto, “Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana” and “Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas” around the top.

Statues of Judge R.E.B. Baylor and Pat Neff Hall, two me- morial lampposts, along with Texas and Christian flags and the ivy chain from Ring Out.

The Quadrangle Bell, bear mascot, Old Main, graduation year and a small railroad spike honoring the “Immortal Ten.”

Inside: “Sic ‘Em Bears,” recipient’s initials, degree and class year.

Photo by Photo via Baylor University
  • Texas Christian University’s official seal is the torch and star, which symbol the “light of learning.”

On the seal is the image of the Horned Frog mascot, the universi- ty’s founding date of 1873 and the motto “Disciplina est facultas” which means “knowledge is power.”

Inside: Engraved inside the ring is the recipient’s initials, graduating year, degree letters and another Horned Frog.

Photo by Photo via TCU
  • The University of Texas ring was designed in 1996 by a committee of students. While a student, the side with the iconic campus bell tower remains on the inside, closest to the heart. After graduation, the Texas Exes symbol — UT’s alumni association — is worn facing in.

The University of Texas Tower is a defining landmark on campus. “It is a con- stant reminder that what starts here changes the world.”

“Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis,” a quote from former Republic of Texas President Mirabeau Lamar, which means, “Education is the safeguard of democracy.”

The Texas Exes symbol is there to link the generations of graduates.

Photo by Photo via The University of Texas
  • As a student, the words Texas State face inward as a reminder of the goal to reach within. After graduation, the ring is turned to show readiness to represent Texas State in all endeavors.

Texas State’s original campus building, Old Main, which opened its doors in 1903. The San Marcos river runs through campus and is on this side with tubers also floating by.

Texas star on top of an oak and laurel leaf, with the name and founding date of the university, 1899.

The “supercat” logo, which was designed by student Brad Monk in 2003 and the school flower, the gaillardia.

Photo by Photo via Texas State University