Immigration Ban Protest

Photo by: Brian Okosun

Monday Evening at Texas A&M was highlighted by a protest and march in response to the recent executive order signed by President Donald Trump. The executive order halted the travel of non U.S. citizens from multiple foreign countries deemed to be at high risk of terrorism.

In the wake of Donald Trump’s executive order halting the travel of immigrants from various middle eastern countries into the U.S., the Bryan-College Station community banded together to show their distain towards the order as well as show support for those affected.

• The crowd assembled around a powerful boombox that played upbeat music and quotes from Matin Luther King’s Famous “I have a dream” speech

Photo By: Brian Okosun
  • A diverse group from around the Bryan College Station community appeared Monday evening, bearing signs shaming President Trump for his actions and assuring solidarity for those affected both near and far.

Brian Okosun
  • Various signs were displayed Monday evening including many that bared statistics such as the one seen here stating no Americans have been killed by refugees allowed into the country versus stairs.

Photo by: Brian Okosun
  • Many protestors quoted the statue of liberty upon their signs begging the question, has America strayed from its message of welcoming all who seek freedom and relief?

Brian Okosun
  • “If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

Brian Okosun
  • Sophomore nuclear engineering major Mario Mendoza holds up a sign that references a popular scene in the Harry Potter series in which “Dobby”, a house elf, is freed from the oppressive life he was bound to.

Brian Okosun
  • Freshmen biomedical Engineering major Abdelrahman Elagami leads a passionate chant that demanded peace and acceptance of people from all walks of life.

Brian Okosun
  • Graduate visualization major Leslie Martin blows peaceful bubbles amongst the crowd of protestors Monday night in Rudder Plaza

Brian Okosun
  • The Bryan-College Station community showed up by the hundreds to protest the immigration ban with chanting, peaceful assembly and a march across the Texas A&M campus Jan. 30 hoping to have their voices heard.

Photo by Brian Okosun
  • Amy Smith, Senior Vice President & Chief Marketing and Communications Officer for Texas A&M took center stage Monday night to address the crowd and deliver a Message from President Young that assured that all students of Texas A&M are loved and will be stood by with solidarity throughout the duration of the executive order.

Brian Okosun
  • Aryan Safi, a junior civil engineering major, speaks to the crowd and asks Ms. Amy Smith what will The university do in the face of Governor Abbott’s promise to defund sanctuary universities.

Brian Okosun
  • After a short period in Rudder Plaza the large crowd began their march towards the heart of campus.

Brian Okosun
  • Seen here is a variation of the popular meme “Cash me outside how ’bout dat?!” that has taken off in early months of 2017, made it’s way into the protest via this protestor’s sign.

Brian Okosun
  • The march ended at the steps of Evans Library where protestors took time to share stories about their lives and what many of them have been through as refugees or relatives of refugees.

Brian Okosun
  • Freshmen international studies major Jakob Jackson and Freshmen engineering major Trevor Lockwood attended the Immigration Ban Protest with his “Make America Great Again” cap donned, many protestors took offense to this but conversations remained rather docile in spite of the tension.

Brian Okosun
  • Junior entomology major Anaili Diane Hernandez shares her families story why she feels passionate about taking a stand against the actions of the Trump administration.

Brian Okosun
  • Junior political science major Nagaad Tubea also shares her stories with passion before the crowd of hundreds who fell silent to listen.

Brian Okosun
  • Monday evening may be an indication that this was the first of many protests to come if more unrest is brought about due to President Trump and his administration’s policies.

Brian Okosun