Ninth Annual Wiener Fest to feature costumes, races

Photo by Vanessa Pena

Photo by Vanessa Pena

Four-legged participants will try their paw at a costume contest and dog race during the ninth annual Wiener Fest Sunday.

Wiener Fest, which is put on by the Aggieland Humane Society in Wolf Pen Creek Park, begins with a 5K Run & Walk and is followed by a costume contest and wiener dog races. Judy LeUnes, Class of 1976 and founder of Wiener Fest, said she created this event with the community in mind.
“I attended another wiener dog race in Texas and I thought, ‘I want to take that to my community,’” LeUnes said. “I brought it to the Aggieland Humane Society Board, and at first they laughed. But look where it is now.”

Over 6,500 people are expected to come watch the dogs compete. LeUnes said she wanted people to focus on the celebration of adopting a puppy and the bonding experience it creates.

“This event is a fantastic bonding place for families and pet owners,” LeUnes said. “We want to celebrate the aspect of adopting pets rather than purchasing.”

This year’s events will feature Wiener Boot Camp the day before the race to give the dachshunds a chance to train. LeUnes said the boot camp will offer an opportunity for the dogs to know what to do at the time of the race.

“Sometimes the gate opens and the dogs just don’t know what to do — they’ll just stand there,” LeUnes said. “Boot Camp will let them explore a little bit and get comfortable. Sometimes during a race we had puppies just stop in the middle of the track and start whimpering.”

Carolyn Young, development director for Aggieland Humane Society, said attendees can expect a lot of new fun things this year.

“There will be a 5K event, Wiener Races, races for Wanna-be-a-Wiener dogs, a costume contest for pets and owners,” Young said. “The live music by Figgy Puddin’ will be a great time to put your blanket on the grass and sit and watch and enjoy everything vicariously.”

In the event of inclement weather, Young said preparations have been made. The event will take place at 11 a.m. Sunday in Wolf Pen Creek Park.