Northcutt conquers in UFC debut

Photo by PROVIDED

A&M engineering freshman Sage Northcutt defeated opponent Francisco Trevino (12-1) at his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut Saturday in Houston.

HOUSTON — Sage Northcutt, A&M engineering freshman, lived up to the hype Saturday by defeating opponent Francisco Trevino by technical knockout at his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut in Houston.

The 19-year-old lightweight defeated Trevino within the first 57 seconds of the first round, garnering his first octagon win at UFC 192.

Trevino (12-2), who weighed in at four pounds over weight, protested the fight’s conclusion and shoved referee Herb Dean. At Saturday’s post-fight news conference, Northcutt (6-0) said Trevino’s unsportsmanlike conduct did not disappoint him. 

“He might not see [the win] as legitimate. Maybe it’s because I’m younger, I don’t know,” Northcutt said. “But Mr. Dean, Herb Dean, he knows what he’s doing. He is the official ref of the UFC, so he knows how to stop his fights and when to let them go, so he has the call.”

Northcutt’s win on Saturday in the Toyota Center extends his winning streak to six.