South Florida’s Anthony Collins to play for A&M basketball this season

Former University of South Florida point guard Anthony Collins has reportedly committed to Texas A&M, and as a graduate student, Collins will be immediately eligible to play this upcoming season.

Aggie head coach Billy Kennedy gave his input on the move Monday and was full of praise for Collins.

“We’re very excited to add Anthony to our program,” coach Kennedy said. “He brings experience on the perimeter that we need and is a true point guard who has proved to be successful in the Big East and American Conferences. His ability to get into the paint and score as well as make plays for his teammates will make an immediate impact on our team.”

The Houston native has played all four years at USF. In his senior season, Collins averaged 7.1 points per game and 5.2 assists per game. He led the entire American Athletic Conference in assists per game. Collins started every game for the Bulls and shot 44.2 percent from the field. His most impressive season was when he was a freshman. He shot 50.8 percent from the field and averaged nine points per game.

Collins will join an experienced Aggie squad with the return of their two leading scorers in seniors Danuel House and Jalen Jones.

The 6-foot-1 Collins can now switch out with Alex Caruso and allow him to line up at shooting guard. Caruso, who averaged 9.1 points per game and scored 20 or more points in four games, will now have more opportunities to score.

The addition of Collins’ should also help the Aggies in the free throw department. Collins shot 78 percent from the line during his four year tenure with USF.

Coach Kennedy said after the 2014 season that the Aggies will make the NCAA tournament next season and the addition of Collins should surely help.