Texas Grand Slam Preview

PROVDIED

Baton Rouge, La.

Marketing director and teacher artist for “Forward Arts”

“I write a lot about racism, sexism, heterosexism, misogyny.  I look to try to undue and unpack a lot of things that I personally absorbed coming up. A lot of my writing is focused on the un-learning of problematic things I learned in my upbringing.”

Interviewed by Mason Morgan

• Austin, Texas

Tutoring manager at a private educational company

“I’m told that a lot of my poems are very political, satirical and feminist. It’s what I’m passionate about, and I’m a woman with a lot of privilege because I’m white and educated. I can talk about whatever I want and there’s no adversity. I want to do something with my time that serves others. I could become a politician and ensure that I get my words out there. So if I’m on a poetry platform, I want to give people the vocabulary to speak up on their behalf.”

Interviewed by Rylie Hester

• Chickasha, Okla.

11th grade English teacher

“I started writing journals when I was very young, and when I was about 15 or so, my journals started turning into poems rather than journal entries. So I just started writing, and I was a big reader of poetry — I love the classics. I love Walt Whitman and William Blake and all those romantics. I’ve always been — it’s not one of those things where I just found poetry. Poetry’s been with me my entire life.”

Interviewed by Mason Morgan