Destination Bryan
Destination Bryan

Destination Bryan
Destination Bryan

A project for the unheard

Human+Profile
Photo by Courtesy
Human Profile

Embodying the mystique of unheard stories, a set of paintings will be on display at the inaugural showcasing event, The Human Profile.
On May 4 from 6-10 p.m., Texas A&M student Anastasia Fedorova, Texas A&M student Brendan Stephens, College Station local Aleenah Spencer and Texas A&M professor Henry Musoma will be profiled at Square One in Bryan. Transforming voices into art, The Human Profile project centers around the idiosyncrasy of these four people to reveal the brand, Graniello Calderon.
Graniello Calderon is the brand of Alan Biggs, business sophomore, and the painter, Aaron Calderon. Wanting to highlight unique stories, Biggs and Calderon decided to present them in a compelling fashion.
“I got the idea for this probably a few months ago,” Biggs said. “It came from the need to show people what the brand, Graniello Calderon, is about. I also want to infuse some life into the art and culture community in Bryan College Station. I feel that both cities are pretty disconnected, and I feel like out of school of 60,000 people that this would be a good way to make it a little smaller.”
According to Biggs, the process began with him searching for potential subjects amongst friends and then interviewing the subjects.
“I reached out to friends and friends-of-friends just trying to find out their view on people that they thought would be a good fit, and had stories that they knew of that were unique to this project,” Biggs said. “I interviewed quite a few people. I learned a lot about how huge this campus is and things you wouldn’t expect to hear from people that you may be sitting by in class. Unless you ask, there’s a lot that people really keep to themselves.”
Once the subjects were interviewed, Biggs said the interview recording was sent to Calderon for listening.
“He will just let that marinate his mind and go about his day,” Biggs said. “I just like watching the process of him turning these stories into a full piece of artwork, because it’s not like we’re just doing portraits of people. It’s actually trying to infuse emotion and a full narrative into one painting.”
Biggs said the technique and process behind Calderon’s oil paintings are beyond noteworthy.
“My friend has been painting for awhile,” Biggs said. “From my eyes he is on his way to be a master. So, him being able to take inspiration from the stories and put it into a painting and then have it on display for these people, I feel like it will be special for both the people profiled and the people attending.”
Stephens, business junior, said he jokingly suggested himself to Biggs when discussing possible subjects. Stephens participated in a similar project his freshman year called Summer Campaign. According to Stephens, the project was a collection of artists, musicians and people that came together and displayed their network.
“I know personally from when I had something similar to this that I felt great after the event,” Stephens said. “In the end I think that I felt so great because I saw that everybody came and had a good time. I hope everybody comes, feels the energy, has a good time, enjoys themselves and actually can appreciate what is being displayed. That will be the greatest feeling across-the-board.”
Musoma said he taught Biggs during his freshman year, and was inspired upon hearing about the Human Profile. According to Musoma, the presence of the audience will create an influx of emotive response.
“Alan has been an exceptional student,” Musoma said. “ He has kept in touch with me. I believe that with our stories we either oppress or liberate. I am hoping it is significant. I hope that the student body supports this effort. Such efforts make Aggieland special. This is a place of many stories.”