America’s Next Top Aggie

Image+Provided
Image Provided

One former student swapped labs and research for the runway.
Will Jardell, Class of 2013, is a part of America’s Next Top Model for the show’s 21st cycle.
Jardell said he was sought by the show after he submitted his application following graduation with a bachelor’s degree in biomedical science.
As one of the final 14 competitors in cycle 21, which is only the second cycle to feature male competitors, Jardell receives instruction from host and retired supermodel Tyra Banks. Jardell said the most memorable moment on the show was having the opportunity to watch her do a photo shoot in episode three.
“She’s so professional in what she does — that was probably one of the most standout moments so far that they aired on TV,” Jardell said.
Jardell said being on national television is a strange and emotional experience.
“The most emotionally difficult part of it is you’re putting yourself out there,” Jardell said. “You’re very vulnerable because people get to see you at your weakest times — and your best times. The show is so stressful that there were times that I cried and times where I was so happy.”
Jardell said watching himself on national television was like watching a diary of the last two months.
“It’s a weird place to put yourself in on national television because everyone gets to experience [the show] whereas before you had this private life that no one knows anything about but now it’s completely public,” Jardell said.
Austin Wyble, marketing senior and longtime friend of Jardell, said the show hasn’t changed their friendship.
“It’s definitely weird,” Wyble said. “It’s cool to see the same Will. It’s still like just my friend on TV. We can pick up where we left off.”
Jardell said his family supports his new career goals as a model and is surprised that he has progressed so far in the competition.
“At first my family was surprised and shocked that it was happening — I was, too,” Jardell said.
Elizabeth Itz, nutritional science senior, was a Fish Camp counselor with Jardell and said his friends have adjusted to watching him on the show.
“It was very surreal at first, very odd, but after the first episode we got used to it,” Itz said.
Tune in Monday night to watch Will Jardell compete on America’s Next Top Model.