Business Student Council gives students a study break with MaysFest

Bounce houses, free pizza and music were on tap Wednesday as MaysFest 2016 offered business students a brief escape from academics.

MaysFest is a bi-annual event hosted by the Business Student Council to help business students de-stress. Companies and other business student organizations are also involved to allow the students a networking opportunity. The event offered music, inflatable games and free food from places like Mad Taco and Double Daves.

MaysFest has become a tradition within the Mays Business School, said Abigail Roberts, vice president of events for Business Student Council and junior finance and business double major.

“MaysFest is a bi-annual festival that allows the Business Student Council to give back to students and faculty of Mays Business School with free food, activities and live music,” Roberts said.

Roberts said many businesses and student groups within the community reached out to help make MaysFest happen.

“We have a lot of student organizations and companies participating this year, and I hope we continue to attract more organizations and companies in the future years,” Roberts said.  “My main expectation is to have a great turnout and see people having fun.”

Charity organizations like A&M’s Ags for Orphans, an orphan outreach group, set up tables to promote their organization.

“MaysFest is an incredible opportunity for Ags for Orphans to get the word out about our organization and our mission,” said Katie Van Horn, marketing sophomore and social media and awareness chair for Ags For Orphans. “We get the chance to tell a lot of students about the orphan crisis and that’s invaluable to us.”

MaysFest also provided an opportunity for BSC students to volunteer in multiple capacities.

“I served Fuego Tacos, I’ve been taking pictures all day, and I’ve helped set up some booths like for the Wells Project and for Jamba Juice,” said  marketing sophomore  and marketing executive for Business Student Council, Madeleine Inglish.

Inglish, who later in the day took the wet seat in the dunk booth, said MaysFest continues to exceed expectations every year.

“It keeps getting better, I think. Last semester was really good as well and we’ve really got momentum going and I think this year is one of our best ones,” Inglish said.

Finance junior Mitchell Gothard participated in his second MaysFest this year. He said the event has become one of his favorite things about being a student of the business school.

“There is nothing more perfect than being on a perfect campus on a perfect day with perfect people,” Gothard said.