Celebrating the world in Aggieland

Photo by Courtesy

The International Student Association will host International Week, which gives cultural groups on campus an opportunity to share their story with the students of Texas A&M University.

From henna to fashion shows, the Texas A&M International Student Association (ISA) is spreading cultural awareness across campus all week.
Beginning on April 2, International Week 2018 will consist of a series of events that aim to achieve ISA’s goal: to identify and represent international students’ interests.
To start the week, there will be cultural student-led organizations presenting the traditions and history of their countries via photos and other representative cultural items in Rudder Plaza and the 12th Man Hall.
Fatima Wood, international studies and English junior, is the ISA vice president of operations and said I-Exhibit is a competition to motivate students to push past the concept of first place and focus on relaying their culture to the crowd.
“This is the time for cultural organizations to show the public what makes their culture unique,” Wood said. “It’s a really awesome opportunity for domestic and international students alike to be able to see just how much of a melting pot A&M really is. I think a lot of students, including myself, can take for granted how big and well-known the university is, but this prestige is what draws academics from all over the world to come study or work with us.”
Monday’s events will feature an I-Dinner, in which attendees can taste rich cultural recipes. International caterers from the Bryan-College Station area will provide food items such as Chinese, Mexican, Middle Eastern and Mongolian from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the MSC Courtyard. Tickets are $10 from the MSC Box Office before the event and $12 at the door.
Students trained in the ancient art of henna will draw a temporary tattoo of choice for $5 a hand or $7 an extension up the arm, on April 5 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Rudder Plaza.
According to Riya Santra, computer science junior, henna is a dye that has been used since ancient times in India, Pakistan, the Middle East and Africa to embellish the body temporarily.
“Nowadays, it is used to create bridal or ceremonial body art,” Santra said. “The dye takes up to an hour to dry and usually lasts for a couple of weeks before fading. I encourage people to come out to Rudder Plaza to see how it is applied. Even if they are not sure if they want it, it will still be a great experience watching the intricacies of the designs being applied to the body.”
During the I-Fashion and Talent Show, students will wear traditional costumes from various cultures, and showcase their talent through performances like dancing or singing from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Rudder Forum on April 15.
Danielle Lipsey, accounting junior, is the president of ISA and said she grew up in a military family, which allowed her to live in cities around the world and gain a passion for exploring cultures.
“I am most excited for I-Fashion and Talent Show,” Lipsey said. “Last year, there were so many beautiful, traditional clothes and amazing performances. The groups are always so diverse and it is cool to see how culture affects the clothing and performances of individuals from a country.”
For the duration of International Week 2018, ISA will sponsor I-Cause, which is an annual charity campaign. According to Lipsey, ISA is collaborating with the Puerto Rican Student Association (PRSA.) ISA and the PRSA are collecting donations for a Puerto Rican School damaged by hurricanes, and a family, who was relocated to the Brazos Valley post-hurricane.
For a complete list of events going on during the week or more details, go to isa-aggies.tamu.edu