Guys and Dolls’ takes Rudder

Provided
“Guys and Dolls” will hit the Rudder Stage Feb. 7.

Provided “Guys and Dolls” will hit the Rudder Stage Feb. 7.  

The Tony Award-winning Broadway production “Guys and Dolls” will transform Rudder Auditorium into a 1920s New York scene this Saturday.
“‘Guys and Dolls’ is a classic American musical comedy from 1950, generally considered the golden age of the musical form,” said Aaron Glover, professor in the Department of Performance Studies. “It’s a really fun show, lots of high energy songs and lots of funny, colorful characters.”
“Guys and Dolls” is part of a national tour that travels the country, Glover said.
“Students are getting to see the same show that is being seen by people all over the place,” Glover said.
Macy Hicks, accounting junior and member of MSC OPAS, said all the characteristics of a Broadway play will be encompassed in this production.
“Students can expect all the thrills of a Broadway classic — a fun storyline and fantastic musical numbers with ample humor and memorable characters,” Hicks said.
The production may differ from the film adaptation with some of the songs and dialogue, Glover said.
“While Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra were certainly good in the movie, the performers in this production are professional musical theatre performers, meaning they’re trained for this kind of singing and performing,” Glover said. “It’s a very different experience to see the show live in person.”
The show will be at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 7 in Rudder Auditorium.